Cancun or Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CRESSIDVR9

Reaction score
Thinkin about takin a trip to Cancun in June.My wife isn't a diver so this isnt a dive trip but could turn into one.Looks like a package to Cancun is the least expensive way to go.
I would like to go to Coz to dive. Would it be better to stay in Cancun and take the ferry to Coz?
Also anyone have other suggestions for this trip.
Just got started researching this. Need help.

Hi,

I was in Mexico a couple of months ago and got out to Cozumel to dive. Basically if you want to base yourself in Cancun and 'commute' to Cozumel via the ferry, it will take you a lot longer than expected. I am not sure if there is a ferry service to Coz out of Cancun but I know there is a good one from Playa Del Carmen and to get from Coz to Playa will be hassle every morning especially if you have to get to an early boat pickup etc.

There are companies in Playa Del Carmen that launch from the mainland but go to Cozumel dive sites...I would suggest either basing yourself in Playa and getting the ferry or Cancun and going with a local operater. Better still, stay on the island (Hotel Pepita is nice) and use a Coz dive operater - I did all my dives with Dive Paradise and had no problems.

All the best,

ElmDiver

Thanks
After I posted this I found out the ferry dosen't come from Cancun like I was told.
I'll look into ur suggestion.

Thanks again.

Cozumel is getting more non-divers than divers these days. Beach Clubs and Resorts with private beaches towards the southern part, Nice-enough hotels and better food in town, Recreational shopping, etc. She'll be happy on Coz, and you can get your diving done in the morning, then join her in the afternoon and evening.

However, if you have any trouble getting discount flights to/from Cozumel, flying to Cancun airport, then taking a van to Playa del Carmen, then the ferry across is not big deal. You just don't want to do it more than once.

Half the posts on the Mexico foum are about Cozumel. Read and study, then narrow your questions down so we can help...

don :bandit_2:

We stayed in Coz. and took the ferry one day to Playa del Carmen to dive the cenotes. Check out www.cenotes.com. You can be just an open water diver and do some cave diving, (no penetration) Check it out, if you are only going to get a couple dives in this may be the answer.

In general, there are more things for non-divers to do in Cancun than in Cozumel, but the diving is generally regarded as much better in Cozumel so you have to weigh it all. You know, what kinds of things does the wife want to do, how understanding is she etc.

Cancun is much more of a sunbather type tourist destination with some good diving. Cozumel is a dive destination with some diversions for your surface intervals. (IMHO)

There are shops catering to the tourists in downtown Cozumel, and there are restaurants and clubs in town. In addition there are some really nice beach clubs in Cozumel, plus you can tour the island. I think there is a small ruin on the island, but I have no personal info to confirm or to rate that.

Remember that if you dive only one 2-tank trip each morning, then you have the afternoon and evening to share with the spousal unit. Of course you know her best (hopefully) and you know what she wants and what she will (and won') allow.

The ferry from Playa Del Carmen runs regularly to Cozumel, costing about $8 and 40 - 50 minutes. You can take a Bus or taxi or shuttle from the airport in Cancun to PDC and that costs about $8 - 15 per person and takes about 45 minutes. I chose that process because it saved me about $150 to fly into Cancun instead, and the flight times worked a lot better for me.

There have been a lot of other posts on SB with more specific details about the ferries, the buses, the diving etc.

I would choose Cozumel over Cancun in a microsecond, but I don't have a wife to consider. You gotta decide whether the better diving is worth it. Of course you could still potentially have a great time in Cancun. Sometimes you have to bring your own good time with you.

Just my opinions tossed into cyberspace, and only because you asked.

Wristshot

There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those that get binary and those that don't.

My choice would be Cozumel. Better diving and a nicer locale, unless you like crowds and traffic. Coz still has gorgeous beaches and lots of shopping for the non divers and you can always take the ferry over to Playa del Carmen for more shops, beaches and touristy things to do.

Fly into Cancun and take a bus, taxi or arrange a van to pick you up and deliver you 50 mins down the highway in Playa del Carmen at the ferry terminal.

If you need help with arranging transport, send me a PM.

Wristshot:
Cancun is much more of a sunbather type tourist destination with some good diving. Cozumel is a dive destination with some diversions for your surface intervals.

A great way of saying it, Wristshot! If Cancun weren't so close to Cozumel, it would be considered a pretty decent dive destination. Cancun doesn't have the incredible coral formations of Coz, but I've still had some great dives there while my wife lounged on the beaches.

Cressidvr9 --- don't try to stay in Cancun and commute to Cozumel for dives. It takes way too long.

I did take my wife on a daytrip to snorkel in Cozumel, however. She was curious about the places I've stayed on my solo trips to Coz (Scuba Club Cozumel, La Ceiba, Plaza Las Glorias, and El Presidente. Of those, only El Presidente had a beach area that met her approval.

Charlie

If your wife likes (1) shopping, (2) nice beaches, (3) nice hotels, (4) historic ruins, (5) americanized tourism, etc. then stay in Cancun and do some good diving in the cenotes and in the sea. If she is accepting of a more third-world experience with ok hotels (hard beds everywhere), a greater risk of the Revenge and a little more local flair, then go to Cozumel and do some great ocean diving. Coming home to an unhappy wife will really trash some good diving, however. The ruins on Cozumel are third rate versus those on the mainland. The Presidente hotel on Cozumel is very nice, but it falls off fast after that. There ain't much to do on Coz except dive, eat and drink. That's why everyone likes it.

There is something for everyone in both places and everyone can afford something. Just don't go to Cozumel expecting to need to dress for dinner or to be pampered at too many places. It is the definition of a nice laid back place. Except when the ships are unloading, then, stay out of the way of the cattle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom