Cancun to Isla Mujeres to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the replies thus far.

Best by:

Cheapest?
or
Quickness?
or
Easiest?

How much luggage? over 44 lbs and an 8lb carry on?

/QUOTE]
Some clarification:
One of us (me) is in fact carrying heavy luggage.
For this trip, we would try to avoid public transportation (except for the ferries).
Mostly, we are unclear about the Cancun airport to Puerto Juarez ferry, and Ferry to Ferry portions (Puerto Juarez to Playa del Carmen). Frankly, I would prefer to take a taxi from the airport to Puerto Juarez, but am unclear as to the availability or cost. I've heard that a taxi from Puerto Juarez to Playa del Carmen is also not too expensive. Any experience with this?[

I've heard that a taxi from CUN to Playa is fairly expensive--I think I've heard something like $85 but probably only about $35 from Playa to the airport. The ADO bus is about $10 US. I had directions to find the ADO bus for the wrong terminal so ended up taking a shuttle to Playa but took the ADO coming back to CUN. It was a very nice bus and it stops at all of the main terminals once you get to the airport.

To me the unknown part is getting to Puerto Juarez from Cancun (the ADO bus terminal). I read that a taxi would be about $5 US. Right now the bus from the airport to Cancun is about $4 US. Taking luggage on the bus is pretty easy--they load it under the bus but it's not "checked" with a tag. I think you can even take bicycles on the bus. Going from the bus terminal on 5th in Playa to the ferry is about two blocks and the people seem to be used to dodging luggage so to me that part is fairly easy. Going the other way the ADO bus from Playa to Cancun is about $4 US ($68 MX). These prices are converted from pesos. If you pay with US dollars it will usually be more.

How to get to Isla Mujeres, Mexico

Here's what I know from experience: When you get off the ferry from Cozumel you go up one block, turn right, and walk one block to the ADO terminal. Get in the Left Line. Ask for a ticket to the airport (aeropuerto). Go to your right and then slightly left, through the door to where the buses are parked. Look for a bus that says "Aeropuerto." Wait until they open the gate and go to the bus. I ask just to make sure it's going to the airport :) They will load your luggage under the bus. When you get to the airport it will stop at Terminal 1, then Terminal 2, then Terminal 3. The driver will probably announce the terminals (how's your Spanish?). I fly SouthWest and it's always Terminal 2. From here you just grab your luggage and go inside.

Getting on the ferry from Cozumel or Playa is easy. The only hard part is choosing which ferry company. Prices may be competitive so you can compare.

I always pay with pesos--it's almost always cheaper. You will see ferry prices such as $10.50 US and $163 MX. $163 pesos right now is about $9.00 US. About the only time you get an actual, accurate conversion rate is at a large store such as MEGA or Chedraui but they still add a tiny amount to cover their cost. I always leave Mexico with enough pesos to cover my next trip back on the ferry and bus plus a taxi and dinner.

Please post whatever it is that you end up doing and let us know how it went.

I opted to use CARM to book a private ride for two from CUN to Puerto Juarez. Price: $35. This is certainly not the most economical method, but it is not bad for two people and obviates the uncertainty of ground transportation from CUN.
From Puerto Juarez to Playa del Carmen I also booked CARM for $65 one way. They extended a $5 discount, so total cost (for both trips): $100. This leg is probably a better deal than the CUN to Puerto Juarez leg-I think this price is around what a taxi ride would cost, and again, booking in advance removes some uncertainties. The prices quoted are for a vehicle, so more passengers will provide better economies per person. I will update the board after the trip with how this actually worked.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom