Cancun vs Cozumel Flight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just booked my daughter and her husband to be flights from CMH to CZM. $788.44 total for both RT. This was cheaper than flying into CUN. Neither is a direct flight but the savings was worth it.

When we went in Dec. we did the fly into CUN, van to Playa and ferry. When returning we gladly went the Maya air route, even with the extra charges for heavy/excess luggage. IMO the trek from CUN to Playa was a PITA. Next time we go if we cannot get direct into CZM we will do the Maya air thing again.

Just booked my daughter and her husband to be flights from CMH to CZM. $788.44 total for both RT. This was cheaper than flying into CUN.
FYI, the US /MX entry fees there and back run just about $80 each round trip. So the actual flight cost is about 300 each R/T, sounds like an excellent deal.

Yes I was quite pleased, next closest was approx $1200

IMO the trek from CUN to Playa was a PITA. Next time we go if we cannot get direct into CZM we will do the Maya air thing again.

This is how people view the same event differently. I often/usually fly into Cancun. Getting on a bus is so simple a caveman could do it. The same with walking from the ADO bus station in Playa to the ferry, buying a ticket and getting on the boat for the relaxing ride over to Cozumel.

www.tinyurl.com/7m3r6

I flew out of Cancun once. after 12 days of that nice Coz buzz, I would rather poke my eye with a pointed stick before I do that again.
But that's just my opinion.
9 more days. Awesome.

I personally look at two factors - (1) How much will I save flying into CUN vs. CZM? And (2) How early is the flight leaving from CUN going home?

The second factor can be determinative, as any flight returning home through CUN and leaving earlier than say 11:00 A.M. means either getting up REAL early on the last day and risking missing the flight if something goes wrong with the connection, or spending last night in Playa Del Carmen. A 9:00 A.M. departure out of CUN means I'll probably need to spend the last night at a hotel near the Cancun Airport, making that option very unattractive.

Assuming an afternoon flight out of CUN, then price becomes the determinative factor - my current cutoff is a savings of about $200 on a round trip is required for me to live with the hassle of the bag drag. I always bring all my dive gear down, so I'm dragging a big Dive Bag (on wheels, thank God!), a smaller duffel with clothes & toiletries, and a bigger carry-on, that I can strap onto the Dive Bag for toting. The cost, using bus to PDC, Ferry to Cozumel, is about $25 each way, and the delay time - total time from CUN to hotel in Coz - runs from 2 to 2-1/2 hours, depending on how long I have to wait for Ferry, and wait on Ferry Pier to get my luggage back. My cutoff point has gotten higher as I've gotten older and less tolerant of the hassle.

My point was that he's willing to endure CUN to save a hundred bucks a ticket but for me to do that I'd have to save at least $200 per person.
I got that; we all have our threshold. As someone else said, the older I get the higher mine becomes. :D

Our last flight was a disaster and had to fly to Cun or spend the night in Dallas and miss a day of diving. Took a van to Playa and ferry over. Wasn't bad...but the ferry over at 8 or 9 pm was brutal. Worst seas they had seen in a long time and they were passing out little yellow bags. Even the locals were green. I thought it was kind of fun.....wife was a greenish yellow color like about half of the passengers.

It wasn't bad, the sea conditions were something of an anomaly, but the main factor for me would be how early the return flight left Cun.

Good luck and safe travels
jay

This is how people view the same event differently. I often/usually fly into Cancun. Getting on a bus is so simple a caveman could do it. The same with walking from the ADO bus station in Playa to the ferry, buying a ticket and getting on the boat for the relaxing ride over to Cozumel.

www.tinyurl.com/7m3r6

I agree. It is becoming a sort of ritual that my wife and I look forward to. We buy a beer at the CUN airport before boarding the bus (or van). Last time we chatted with another couple on the bus, and the time passed quickly. They were from Texas but spoke Spanish, so we started off in Spanish before they got tired of our poor Spanish and switched the conversation to English. Arriving in Playa del Carmen, we first find a hole-in-the-wall to eat lunch at before running the gauntlet through the touristy area leading to the ferry. But down at the ferry, we can buy another beer. Last time we happened to arrive at the ferry landing just before one departed, so timing was perfect. But waiting an hour would hardly be a burden. The ferry ride itself is kind of fun, and we enjoy the anticipation as Cozumel slowly comes into view. I suppose if the weather is bad, that might change everything. But on a nice day, the trip from Cancun to Cozumel is a ritual we almost look forward to.

Walking off a plane and getting a taxi straight to a hotel in Cozumel would be so, I dunno, anticlimactic. You can do that anywhere in the world. When I'm in Mexico, I want to cram in as much of Mexico as I can.

Different strokes for different folks.

Back
Top Bottom