Canon G-11 / Canon WP-DC34 Leaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cabbie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has any one experienced an "unexplained" leak on ascent with this set up ?

After a 40 minute dive. max depth about 23 metres, I took a few photos - mixture of macro and mantas - then tucked the camera away for the ascent and noticed that the leak detector I'd installed was flashing nicely red when I was on the safety stop and there was a little puddle of water inside.

Rinsed and dried out the housing, checked the o-ring etc. Put the empty housing in a bucket of water after a couple of days (camera is now an expensive paperweight), pressed all the buttons and it remained as dry as a bone inside.

Would I be better off getting an Ikelite housing if (when) I replace the camera or should I just put it down to bad luck ?

When you say tucked away? Was it stressed in any way???

Some have claimed leaks due to plastic burrs along the o-ring, but with the two different Canon's and two different Olympus housings, I am yet to detect any sort of burr (though I don't doubt it can happen)...

IMO, if you value your camera, insurance is a great thing - I've always heard the saying "its not if your camera is going to flood, its when"

The OEM housings are known to have a leakage issue with mold flash or mold lines. There are reasons people pay for the premium Patima and FIX housings. N

or the Ikelite housings what is the half of the Patima/FIX housing and is a fine housing as well.
Anyway, fill the housing with toilet/houshold paper and dive again, the paper would absorb the water and indicate you where the leak is. It can be also that you had a hair/lint catched on the o-ring and it's not the housing itself.

Chris

I use a G10 with the relevant Canon housing and have never had a problem, nor with Canon's housings for three other cameras, nor manufacturers' own housings for Olympus & Casio cameras. Most of these were in rental use at my dive centre, but never leaked. I have lost two cameras, but one was when preparation was rushed and flawed, and the other was when an idiot of a customer (there are too many of them) opened the housing underwater.

Whilst it's possible there is some obscure fault with your housing, I would first suspect the way it was prepped for diving.

IMO, if you value your camera, insurance is a great thing - I've always heard the saying "its not if your camera is going to flood, its when"

Insurance? Is this a rider on your house insurance or a specialty item thru a different company? I already drowned one camera, my own fault because I rushed things, but I have a nice new G11 that I would actually like to keep.....or at least insure in case I have another brain cramp.

There is a very good thread on polishing out the mold lines. This should solve your problem. Do a search, if you cannot find it PM me and I will find it for you. The OEM housing should do OK for you. You will need to use a desiccant in the housing to eliminate condensation. Good luck.

The Ikelite is a good housing, just bulky and does not as easily support optical strobes without home rigging connectors.

N

Insurance? Is this a rider on your house insurance or a specialty item thru a different company? I already drowned one camera, my own fault because I rushed things, but I have a nice new G11 that I would actually like to keep.....or at least insure in case I have another brain cramp.

Squaretrade... extended warranty on the actual item, then I purchased a no-fault insurance for a few extra bucks... the manufacturers warranty is 1 year, the squaretrade warranty extended that to 3 years for $39.99 and for $27 additional, for a total of $67, I am covered no matter what happens to the camera, short of loss or theft...

I had an Olympus camera that was supposed to be waterproof by itself (1030sw), but it got water in it when I was rinsing it outside of its housing. I had the normal squaretrade warranty for 2 years on it and they paid for the entire cost of the camera new, which is why I got the Canon S90... I basically only paid the difference in the price new between the cameras, and I got a year and a half worth of usage out of the Olympus... I usually don't go for warranties, but I've seen a lot of digital cameras fail, regardless if they are put underwater or not...

I guess I figure $67 for a warranty is much cheaper than $700 for a better housing :)

Back
Top Bottom