Canon G15 - everything you need to know is here :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're shooting in RAW, right? If so you're making a lot of work for yourself setting WB. Just leave it in Auto or Underwater and tweak it in Lightroom. You have a lot to keep up with already. Adding in custom WB is unnecessary.

-Charles

Hi Charles

Is this really true, are you 100% certain? Does setting/retuning the white Balance under water actually do nothing, that you won't be able to easily correct in lightroom? Doesn't an adjusted WB before shooting giving you a better picture - also a better base to start correcting colors on in lightroom and one that will let you get a better end result, than if you just shot in Auto?

Charles is right, no need to do underwater white balance if shooting in RAW. Also, if you shut out ambient light and rely on your external strobes to provide most of the light (by using a fast shutter), the white balance will not be far off and you can always tweak it in post to make your colours perfect!

You're shooting in RAW, right? If so you're making a lot of work for yourself setting WB. Just leave it in Auto or Underwater and tweak it in Lightroom. You have a lot to keep up with already. Adding in custom WB is unnecessary.

-Charles

I do this where necessary but find it easier to get the right balance by using custom on camera. Less tweaking afterwards. I find often that it's hard to get exactly the right setting it lightroom...

Here are a few photos....

Attachments

• day5 pedersons_1593 copy.jpg
    day5 pedersons_1593 copy.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 206
  • day6 anenome shrimpIMG_1685.jpg
    day6 anenome shrimpIMG_1685.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 188
  • day5 shrimp_1612.jpg
    day5 shrimp_1612.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 190
  • day2 cleaning_0995 copy.jpg
    day2 cleaning_0995 copy.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 194
Is this really true, are you 100% certain?

Yes, I am 100% certain, and this has nothing to do with the model or type of camera you're using. RAW means you're getting everything right off the sensor just as it saw it. Setting the WB for photos shot in RAW does NOTHING to the photo itself. That said, it does tag the photo as being shot with a certain WB setting. Some programs such as Lightroom will read this tag and display the photo with that setting in effect. For example, if you shoot with the WB set to Cloudy, Lightroom will display the photo as though it was shot on a cloudy day.

Anyway, chasing WB underwater for still shots is a waste of time. Plus you're probably missing good shots because you're fiddling with buttons. Just set it to "Underwater" and leave it. That'll get it close and you can tweak it on a shot-by-shot basis in Lightroom during post production.

That's exactly what I did in this set: Cozumel 2013 - a set on Flickr

-Charles

Yes, I am 100% certain, and this has nothing to do with the model or type of camera you're using. RAW means you're getting everything right off the sensor just as it saw it. Setting the WB for photos shot in RAW does NOTHING to the photo itself. That said, it does tag the photo as being shot with a certain WB setting. Some programs such as Lightroom will read this tag and display the photo with that setting in effect. For example, if you shoot with the WB set to Cloudy, Lightroom will display the photo as though it was shot on a cloudy day.

Anyway, chasing WB underwater for still shots is a waste of time. Plus you're probably missing good shots because you're fiddling with buttons. Just set it to "Underwater" and leave it. That'll get it close and you can tweak it on a shot-by-shot basis in Lightroom during post production.

That's exactly what I did in this set: Cozumel 2013 - a set on Flickr

-Charles

Great advice, thanks. For film it still is useful then.
your Cozumel fotos are not that ugly, by the way... (holly molly!!!)

I like setting the balance to cloudy instead of underwater.

Just came across this file and realized that I never went through them after getting back from my March trip to Roatan right after getting my G15.
This scene is almost as fun as the sponge bob coral head off the east end of grand cayman. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0567teletubbycoral.jpg
    IMG_0567teletubbycoral.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 401
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom