canon housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajim311

Registered
Reaction score
Ok so i just got my canon housing(woohoo) for my g9. I was taking a close look at the back and radiating out from most of the buttons it almost looks like a scratch and i can feel it with my fingernail, is this normal? could it be a hair line crack? i would just think their scatches but its at the same place on the inside and outside but the acrylic inbetween is clear( if that makes sense) Has anyone else noticed this on theirs? Thanks

I too just got my g9 case (how exciting hey!?). After reading your post, i grabbed my case and yes, mine too has a few scratches coming off the buttons. It does not come off all of them but I think I counted 5. They are on both the inside and the outside layers of plastic in the same spots! What could this be? Just a manufacturer defect or something having to do with how the housing is made?It seems (otherwise) like a very well-made product and I cant imagine Canon makes anything shotty, so I dont think I will worry about it. Or maybe I will write Canon an email. If I hear anything back, I will let you know. Or if you hear anything, please let me know. BTW, have you used yours at any depth yet? I have not.
Good luck and thanks for the heads up!
Sarah

i water tested it as it said to do at about 6 inches and used the actual camera in my fish tank at about the same depth and it doesn't leak but i definetly want to find an answer before i take it diving.

To be safe, I'd be taking it in the ocean without the camera to make sure. If they are cracks, they may not leak until there's some pressure on there (more that 6" will give anyway).

how about a pic of the problem. I just got the case for my a650is its very similar, and its been to 60 ft or 20M no problem yet knock on wood. I'll check for marks by bthe buttons. In the user manual it says not to use excessive force on the buttons, but it sounds like you just got it.
Jim what kind of tank do you have...

I have a Canon A640 with Canon housing. I have suffered one major flood (camera destroyed) and several minor ones (a few drops up to a teaspoon). Canon have replaced the housing under warranty twice - so the fault obviously lies with the housing not with me. I am now on my third housing and keeping my fingers crossed that this one doesn't fail like the previous two.

ok so heres some pics
IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

I will defiinetly try it at depth without my camera first. Oh and i have two saltwater tanks, a 100 gallon and a 30 gallon with soft and hard corals.

ok so i contacted canon they said it wasn't normal and i will be exchanging it for a new one. If anyone else has seen this please let me know i'm sure there are others who have the canon housings on here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom