Canon S95 with 720p video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know which thread it came up in but somebody got a S90, newer than mine, and said that they could not turn off the focus assist light. Well, whatever, but the brand spanking new S90 I got Tuesday from Amazon, I can indeed turn off the focus assist light, in fact, the new "spare" S90 camera functions exactly like my original S90 in all ways. I have tested it in the FIX housing, obviously a sofa test, lol, but it works fine in the FIX housing with all functions including the rear ring control, no issues. I do notice the rear ring control is slightly stiffer than my original S90, not sure if that is intentional or not but it has no detrimental effect on the housing ring control function when the camera is installed into the housing.

N
WOOOW I hope the S90 Im waiting for will be compliant as well :D

Hope also you always understand my "french-english " :D:D:D

The Canon S95 now shows as being available at Newegg dot com. No other sites have this yet.

What is everyone thoughts on the ability of this camera to have a "fish eye" setting?

A what setting:confused: I think you need to clarify, there is no such thing as a fisheye setting?

N

A what setting:confused: I think you need to clarify, there is no such thing as a fisheye setting?
N

Caveat: I'm not even a semi-serious photographer, but just to keep the conversation coherent so I might learn something from listening to it:

From the Canon S95 manual, downloaded from their website. Page 71, see attached.
"Shoot with the Effects of a Fish-Eye Lens.
(Fish-eye Effect)
Lets you shoot with the distorting effect of a fish-eye lens."

There really isn't any more description than that, the rest of page 71 is just how to set this mode with the buttons, and the amusing disclaimer:
"Since you may not achieve the expected results depending on the shooting conditions, try taking some test shots first."

Attachments

• Page71.pdf
    59.5 KB · Views: 71
Interesting, it does a barrel distortion which is something of a problem with the S90/S95 lens anyways, it is software corrected normally. It does not however increase FOV, when I think of fish eye effect I am thinking angle of view plus the inherent barrel distortion that comes from a fish eye lens.

Hmm, I don't see that in mine, maybe look again.

N

Well, given what I have seen and that the FIX90 housing is available now and the S90 is available now, I am glad I did not wait a year for a fake "tilt" effect or a fake "fisheye" effect or some sort of movie mode I never use.

The S90 already has manual focus on the front ring, the little fellow in the movie was kind of funny, about as singularly underwhelmed as I would have been.

N <----S90 X 2 :)

I have been reading a great deal of everyone's post on the S90 as I have been looking to upgrade my current setup which is a Casio EX-Z1000 in a Casio UW Housing. It is nothing fancy, just a point and shoot, no strobe but with a diffuser. It has taught me to how to take UW pictures. It changed my diving forever.

Now I want to take my training wheels off and upgrade. Which brings me to an S90/S95 setup.
Looking at different housing, strobes, bases etc. I am going to wait until October/November to purchase, pool time in December, returning to Yap for diving in January for sea trials.

So I am going to slowly join the club........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom