Canon S95 with 720p video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any reports on how people have made out with their S95's? How about the housings.. function access and leaks?

There are a few threads on the S95, as well as a few on the Fisheye (FIX) S95 housing, which is quite different from the FIX S90 housing. On the other hand, Recsea makes a S95 housing which is essentially identical to the FIX/Recsea S90 housing, down to the connectology.

Paul & Becs posted their S95 gallery (using a Canon WP-38 housing):
[I can't post the URL directly, but google Flicker and "paulandbecs".]

I got my S95, but am patiently waiting for the FIX S95 housing to be reviewed in greater detail -- Nemrod had previously postulated that the new 52mm female connector on the FIX S95 housing will lead to worsened performance with wet lenses. However, someone (REEL?) actually said the new 52mm female connector allows wet lenses to be mounted even closer than with the FIX S90.

I've seen all the work Nemrod put into testing various wet lenses with his S90 in FIX S90 housing, so I know he knows what he is talking about. On the other hand, since I have a S95, I won't be sad if the FIX S95 actually outperforms the FIX S90.
:)

Anyway, the story is unfolding as we speak.

There are a few threads on the S95, as well as a few on the Fisheye (FIX) S95 housing, which is quite different from the FIX S90 housing. On the other hand, Recsea makes a S95 housing which is essentially identical to the FIX/Recsea S90 housing, down to the connectology.

Paul & Becs posted their S95 gallery (using a Canon WP-38 housing):
[I can't post the URL directly, but google Flicker and "paulandbecs".]

I got my S95, but am patiently waiting for the FIX S95 housing to be reviewed in greater detail -- Nemrod had previously postulated that the new 52mm female connector on the FIX S95 housing will lead to worsened performance with wet lenses. However, someone (REEL?) actually said the new 52mm female connector allows wet lenses to be mounted even closer than with the FIX S90.

I've seen all the work Nemrod put into testing various wet lenses with his S90 in FIX S90 housing, so I know he knows what he is talking about. On the other hand, since I have a S95, I won't be sad if the FIX S95 actually outperforms the FIX S90.
:)

Anyway, the story is unfolding as we speak.

I do not think I actually said the FIX95 would have worse performance with the UWL-04 Fisheye lens, I think I did say I did not see a good way to mount other lenses such as Inon 67mm or AD or 28AD or the new Inon 100HD series lenses with the apparently permanently mounted 52mm threaded port. That is not set in stone and perhaps there is something here we don't understand. Ryan (Reef) said he thinks (or knows??) that the new FIX95 will actually work better with the specific UWL-04 lens and that may be, not to misrepresent him so for that best ask him.

So, it really comes down to your choice of lenses, if you intend to use the excellent UWL-04 and some sort of FIX macro set then the FIX95 might be the go to housing, if you want to use that new Inon HD series lens, who knows, not me?

I like the new Recsea housings, they are more akin to the previous generation and superb FIX90 housing, I can see no downside to the Recsea95 housing but I can only go by what I have read and been told (yes, actually told) as I do not own/have one to test.

N

Just so you know, Fantasea Line offers a wide range of lens accessories and lighting sets for both the S90 (WP-DC35) and S95 (WP-DC38) Housings. Check out this system-
Fantasea_Accessories_S95.jpg

For further information, you can contact me at rain@fantasea.com

Dive Safely!

I do not think I actually said the FIX95 would have worse performance with the UWL-04 Fisheye lens, I think I did say I did not see a good way to mount other lenses such as Inon 67mm or AD or 28AD or the new Inon 100HD series lenses with the apparently permanently mounted 52mm threaded port. That is not set in stone and perhaps there is something here we don't understand. Ryan (Reef) said he thinks (or knows??) that the new FIX95 will actually work better with the specific UWL-04 lens and that may be, not to misrepresent him so for that best ask him.

Sorry, James, for mis-paraphrasing you.

I guess market forces are at play, and if enough people buy the FIX S95 housing, someone may come out with a 52mm-to-AD or 52mm-to-28AD adaptor. (Just like 10bar came out with an adaptor for the FIX S90 housing.)

Of course, those who need a system now will be tempted to go with with the RecSea S95 housing, and take advantage of all the existing FIX S90 accessories out there.

Not having handled any wet lenses below water -- but having played with tons of filters (threaded), lens hoods (both threaded and bayonet) and interchangeable lenses (bayonet) on land -- I am very hesitant to go with any threaded wet lenses if a bayonet solution exists. Also, I want to have the same connectology for both WA/FE and macro -- it's simply insane to have a different mount for each wet lens.

Finally, the new Inon 100HD wet lens may turn out to be a superstar, but if I remember correctly, Ryan at REEF said it would be at a much higher price point. I don't suppose anyone knows how "much higher"....

Anyway, my Feb 2011 diving trip got torpedoed, so I guess I can wait and see what happens in the months to come.

:popcorn:

Sorry, James, for mis-paraphrasing you.

I guess market forces are at play, and if enough people buy the FIX S95 housing, someone may come out with a 52mm-to-AD or 52mm-to-28AD adaptor. (Just like 10bar came out with an adaptor for the FIX S90 housing.)

Of course, those who need a system now will be tempted to go with with the RecSea S95 housing, and take advantage of all the existing FIX S90 accessories out there.

Not having handled any wet lenses below water -- but having played with tons of filters (threaded), lens hoods (both threaded and bayonet) and interchangeable lenses (bayonet) on land -- I am very hesitant to go with any threaded wet lenses if a bayonet solution exists. Also, I want to have the same connectology for both WA/FE and macro -- it's simply insane to have a different mount for each wet lens.

Finally, the new Inon 100HD wet lens may turn out to be a superstar, but if I remember correctly, Ryan at REEF said it would be at a much higher price point. I don't suppose anyone knows how "much higher"....

Anyway, my Feb 2011 diving trip got torpedoed, so I guess I can wait and see what happens in the months to come.

:popcorn:

No worries, no need to apologize, I was not fussing.

I imagine the HD series lens with dome will be 800 to 1,000 dollars. :eyebrow:

The 10Bar adapter was not specific to the FIX housing, it just so happens it works, I had already made a DIY version for another project about a year or more before I ever heard of one. The lower row, the left most one is the 10Bar, the next to the right with the blue ring is mine (AD to 67mm adapters);

P6050313.jpg

I am sorry about your trip, last year I had four trips torpedoed out of the blue, it was like WWII and I was a lone merchant ship with the entire German navy in pursuit!!!:wink:. So, I feel your pain and then some, hope you get another trip planned out.

Oh, see, the problem with a fixed, non removable 52mm threaded port is that the rear elements of the Inon 67mm lenses and I do believe the new HD mount series is larger than the 52mm diameter of the ring thus forcing any step-up adapter to hold the lens well forward of where it would be with a 67mm mount where the lens can sit down into it rather than on top of it if you follow.

DSCF0002-2.jpg

James

smileypullinghairout.gif
the G12 or the S95
smileypullinghairout.gif
decisions.. decisions..
smileypullinghairout.gif

I am having trouble deciding which way to go

Nemrod, I would agree. As the price comes down on all the "EVIL" cameras, the price distance between them and a good point and shoot are getting a lot closer. Particularly if you are buying a reasonable case. I just got a Pany GH1 so I shoot with their 7 -14mm lens under a dome.

Expect to see a Canon one before the end of the year.
Can you post some pix of your GH1 setup..and or pix that you hve taken with it ??? We are reading a lot about this Cam. Would like more info. Thanks in Advance

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom