Canon S95 with 720p video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting, it does a barrel distortion which is something of a problem with the S90/S95 lens anyways, it is software corrected normally. It does not however increase FOV, when I think of fish eye effect I am thinking angle of view plus the inherent barrel distortion that comes from a fish eye lens.

Hmm, I don't see that in mine, maybe look again.

N

Actually, if you use Canon's software, the field of view is less than if you use, say light room or PSP...at least at 28 or 35mm (not tested the others)... so if you turn off the lens correction, it would give you a wider field of view...way to turn a problem into a plus.

Actually, if you use Canon's software, the field of view is less than if you use, say light room or PSP...at least at 28 or 35mm (not tested the others)... so if you turn off the lens correction, it would give you a wider field of view...way to turn a problem into a plus.

LOL, I don't care, that is all kind of becoming esoteric. It has no bearing on what is a fake effect and which is something of a gimmick. If you like that sort of thing, great, I see no purpose to it nor would the inclusion or lack thereof sway me on a camera purchase decision. In fact, I am beginning to be suspicious of the S95 in much the same way the A590IS was a lesser camera than the A570IS, performance counts, gimmicks, yawn.

What would be kool is if someday there is a camera, like the S90, that actually had a zoom lens that went from 28mm rectilinear to 16mm (35mm equivalent) fisheye with 180 degree field of view full frame to even a circular field partial frame. Then a simple housing with a 4 inch dome and we are in business for some interesting underwater photography not to mention what a little pocket machine with that capability could do on the surface.

All of these camera companies make a zillion different cameras and they are all exactly alike and do the same thing, is it possible to do something different? At least to some degree the S90 was different, optimized for photography and now it is getting "special effects" and HD video with stereo just like every other half a-- pocket camie instead of real improvements in performance over the S90.

N

Nemrod, I would agree. As the price comes down on all the "EVIL" cameras, the price distance between them and a good point and shoot are getting a lot closer. Particularly if you are buying a reasonable case. I just got a Pany GH1 so I shoot with their 7 -14mm lens under a dome.

Expect to see a Canon one before the end of the year.

I just received my S95 and it did not work in the WP-DC35 housing. Bummer. WP-DC38 is on order.

What problem did you have with the S95 in the WP-DC35? Did it not fit at all, or controls off far enough that they would not work?
thanks
John

I saw that but still wondered about the EXACT problems. I am sometimes able to work out slight "fixes" the get things to work together that are not designed to do so. Even the fact that the S95 is slightly thinner might be an advantage and allow something to be added to the bak of the buttons to slightly redirect their "push" direction. I think I will take my WP-DC35 to a camera store where you can actually handle a camera without a bunch of theft prevention devices glued on so I can see how the housing might be modified to allow an S95 to be used. I, for one, would like better video than the S90 provides. I am seriously considering a T2i, even though the housings are MUCH more expensive. The Nautica housing looks so good, but then I read about problems with leaking and sticking controls and that is scary with a $2000+ housing, even if the camera is only $800.

Please see http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ikelite/348712-ikelite-housing-canon-s95.html post #13 from Ikelite staff. There will be separate Ikelite S90/S95 housings, but apparently there will be a way to adapt either camera to the other housing.

That might provide you a little more information about the possibility of a similar situation for the Canon housings. No guarantees, but if you intend to pursue it, understanding what Ikelite did might be instructive.

Any reports on how people have made out with their S95's? How about the housings.. function access and leaks?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom