Can't make up my mind! Borneo, Philippines, Indonesia,Cambodia:week of November 28th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cwluckytraveler

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I’m going to be arriving in Singapore on November 27th, 2009. I’m looking for advice on where to spend my first week (November 28th to December 5th/ 6th) diving. I’m headed on to Vientiane, Laos the following week, so it would be nice to find a location that would be easy to fly back into Kula Lumpher or even directly to Laos.

After Laos, I’m spending a week in southern Thailand and plan to do some diving there too. I did a live aboard to the Similan Islands last year and loved it!

So...any recommendations? I’m really interested in Borneo, Sipadan, but it seems like some work to get there, I may not get a permit and the weather might not be great this time of year? Is it worth trying? Are there some good deals in the area? I’ve also considered the Philippines or Indonesia, but not sure where to start? I’ve also considered Cambodia, as it would be convenient. I’m 40, female and will be traveling alone. I prefer very laid back quaint little towns and budget accommodations - on the beach. I like places where there’s also non-diving activities (hiking, kayaking – and a beer with a massage on the beach after a long day). I love liveaboards too, if I can find one that’s reasonably priced or has any specials going right now. I really dislike the larger cities and total party places like Phuket. If anyone has a recommendation on where to go and dive outfits that are good in those areas, I would greatly appreciate your advice! :D

PHILIPPINES!!!
Anilao and Puerto Galera are both close to Manila. Both are a two hour drive south, but you can add another 45 min. boat ride to Puerto Galera.
Both offer great diving!, and reasonable prices for acc. and the diving itself. Anilao may be a few $$ more, but less than the Carribean.
Puerto Galera White Beach Resorts Hotels and Scuba Diving Shops Directory and Property Listings In 2005 my wife dove through Action Divers and they helped arrange the accomodations. Dive Puerto Galera, Dive Philippines, Dive Action Divers Great time!
You can't go wrong diving in the Philippines.

Thank you! I'll have to check out Anilao and Puerto Galera a little more. Are they pretty laid back and quiet? I was also wondering about the floods in Manila a month ago. Wondered if it's making travel difficult or if it had any effect on the diving? Really appreciate your help!

Singapore has direct flights to Tawau, the gateway to Sipadan and Manado in Indonesia. In fact, Singapore has direct flights to most diving locations in Asia. You are indeed spoilt for choices.

I recommend Puerto Galera, Philippines, there is a huge variety of dive sites to suit every need and accomodation to suit every wallet. I recommend Dive Dojo, small and independent they will recommend accommodation to suit your wallet too.

I agree to all the above. Best to fly direct to someplace from Singapore without connections (Phuket, Cebu, Bali, Tawau for Sipadan/Manul). The tawau flights on AirAsia are getting sold out thought. As for Sipadan, there is great macro diving in Mabul that is worth the trip. Suggest you check with a local dive shop to book your travel from Singapore. I use Stella for travel at Singapore PADI Scuba Diving Centre:.Waikiki Dive Centre:.Five star Training Agency:.Scuba Equipment Retailer:.Deepoutdoors:.Tilos:.Henderson:.Camaro:.Mares:.Dacor:.Sherwood:.Tusa:.Bare:.Mask. She will steer you right.

Hi, I've been to all the places recommended and would agree with the advice. As an additional option for indonesia you can consider Manado. Easy direct access from KL. Diverse diving opportunities at Bunaken, Lembeh, and Bangka.

I have attached a link to my dive pics from Lembeh/Bangka, North Sulawesi, Indonesia and Sogod, Philippines. Good luck!
Sogod Bay Lembeh Bangka Island - a set on Flickr

Philippines - closest from Manila would be Anilao (2 hours - very quiet area, no night life) and Puerto Gallera (3 hours - lots of night life in Sabang area). Some other great diving in Philippines - Balicasag, Bohol; Coron, Palawan; Apo Reef. Traveling in Philippines is not affected by the recent flooding and typhoons. Everything is pretty much back to normal now.

Back
Top Bottom