Can't remember the name of the Hawaiian hand signal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justin-branam

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey,

I am writing an english paper on how to live a happy life and i thought of when i was diving in hawaii (no, im not sucking up!). I remember whenever our DM would find something cool, he would show us and then do the hand signal. he told me what it was called and exactly what it meant but i cant remember. It's the one where you make a fist but stick out your thumb and pinky and wiggle your hand. dont look down on me for my bad memory!! I just figure i'd stick this in my paper. Thanks.

isnt that the hang loose signal? not sure what Hawaiian language for it is tho.

When I was there (77-86) it meant a lot of things. Used as hello, goodbye, unreal wave I just got, "right on Bra', cool". Or "how was the food"? (hand signal) "broke the mout, Bra".

Local legend usually attributes the "shaka" sign to David "Lippy" Espinda who died in the mid-70's. However, there're have been other claims to originating the hand-signal.

http://starbulletin.com/2002/03/31/news/kokualine.html

Oh, and the proper way to throw that sign is as a subtle, offhand, low-key gesture; just a flash. Waving it around like trying to flag a taxi is generally poor form.

cancun mark:
Man, its been five minutes now and my retinas are still burning from the colours on that website.

Aloha Cancun Mark,

Sorry about the retina damage. Maybe you've been in the chlorine a little too much lately? Time to get out on the reef! JK! Anyway, my website is rather colorful..... I guess I'm just trying to keep with the style of the millions of colorful fish we have here on Maui's reefs.

And (Justin-Branam) listen to Bluemagoo....the proper way to throw one shaka is low key, subtle and sincere.

Big Shakas to all!

Somehow I knew Shaka Doug would know this stuff :)

Back
Top Bottom