Can't remember the name of the Hawaiian hand signal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scot M:
Palm out or palm in?
Excellant question. I've been doing palm out because palm in looked less than masculine. :wink: Have I been doing it wrong???? :eyebrow:

It's palm out.

My favorite usage of the shaka sign is in rush hour traffic when some jerk forces his way into your lane in front of you. You know, when you have to stop or else you'll hit him. Then out of the car window comes the shaka sign - like that makes it better. Grrrr.

I always thought it was palm in. That's always been the way I've done the Shaka. The university I went to does a version of the Shaka, except we do it palm out and don't shake it. That's to symbolize a Maverick.

Scot M:
Palm out or palm in?

The basic principle on throwing it is to do it Hawaiian style -- that is, a natural motion expending the least amount of calories. And so, throwing it from about shoulder level and below, the palm's normally in. Throwing it from an forward extended arm position at shoulder-level or from overhead, it'll most likely be slightly palm-out; just like a traffic cop's stop handsign. Occasionally, somebody -- usually politicians and other flies mugging for a photog -- will make the effort to flex their joints to throw an upright palm-out from the low position. On graphics however, it's typical to have it depicted palm-out; Frank Fasi's sign seems to be palm-in however. I can't really remember how Lippy Espinda threw it at the end of his show but it may have been forward-extended arm, palm-in.

Yeah Chepar, I know what you mean but I figure at least he knew what he did to me. What really wrinkles my underwear is when they cut me off and are totally clueless or couldn't give a rip....

ScubaTexan, wasn't there some kind of flap about George W. throwing the Longhorn sign? Some Minnesotians noticed that it was a Nordic sign for the devil or something like that?

bluemagoo:
ScubaTexan, wasn't there some kind of flap about George W. throwing the Longhorn sign? Some Minnesotians noticed that it was a Nordic sign for the devil or something like that?

Almost. Here's the story from the Miami Herald:

Norwegians Confused by Bush Salute

Associated Press

OSLO, Norway - President Bush's "Hook 'em, 'horns" salute got lost in translation in Norway, where shocked people interpreted his hand gesture during his inauguration as a salute to Satan.

That's what it means in the Nordics when you throw up the right hand with the index and pinky fingers raised, a gesture popular among heavy metal groups and their fans in the region.

"Shock greeting from Bush daughter," a headline in the Norwegian Internet newspaper Nettavisen said above a photograph of Bush's daughter Jenna, smiling and showing the sign.

For Texans, the gesture is a sign of love for the University of Texas Longhorns, whose fans are known to shout out "Hook 'em, 'horns!" at sporting events.

Bush, a former Texas governor, and his family made the sign to greet the Longhorn marching band as it passed during the inaugural parade through Washington during Thursday's festivities, explained Verdens Gang, Norway's largest newspaper.

In Italy, that same hand gesture is also considered a devil's curse. I think it's called malocchio (sp), or something like that...

ScubaTexan:
In Italy, that same hand gesture is also considered a devil's curse. I think it's called malocchio (sp), or something like that...
Malocchio translates to evil eye. Occhio being eye and mal being bad, evil, etc.

I love things like this that mean different things in differnt cultures. :)

Scot M:
Palm out or palm in?

Bluemagoo put it well... if you want to think of it this way:

gregarious/outgoing/charismatic personalities tend to throw it palm out - held up in the air and often times shaken vigorously. Think the "Nixon" peace sign...

Laid back/casual folks (like me) do it palm in held in front of the body with just a slight wave to it (small "wiggle")

It's just like waving - it's all in personality...

Tim

According to the web site for the Hawaii Club from Northwestern University:

"you know you are Hawaiian if:

23. When making "Shaka", the back of your hand is facing out."

-----------------------------------------------

I just spent some time snow skiing in Aspen with a gang from the Hawaiian Ski Club, and they all throw the Shaka that way.

And the "hook'em horns" / Satan / Heavy Metal sign is a bit different than a Shaka.

Wristshot

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom