Cape Ann 9/19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would love to have some info on headings and any other specifics I should know. Thanks for all the info so far!

Cape Ann Divers has an excellent guide for dive sites:

Welcome to Cape Ann Divers! cape ann divers, cape ann diving, boston diving, scuba boston, massachusetts diving, scuba massachusetts, new england scuba diving, scuba new england, north eastern usa scuba diving, scuba resorts usa, boston dive boat div

Also, Google Earth or Google Maps has a particularly clear image right now actually showing the shoals at Front Beach and Back Beach during what must have been a very calm day with 40-50' vis! Best satellite image of this area that I've seen!

Google Maps

Type in ZipCode 01966.

Or in Google Earth, type in the following coordinates for the parking area on left side:

42°39'33.65"N
70°37'19.31"W

Here are my Front Beach dive suggestions, for one-hour dives less than 30' deep. I usually enter at the left (north) end of the beach.

From there:
  1. A 30-degree heading takes one generally along the rocky shoal that extends from the point between Front and Back Beach. Critters seem to like the edge where the rocks meet the sand. Go out about 100 to 200 yards to 25 to 30' depths and back along the same track or take a slightly different, slightly shaller return track over the kelpy rocks of the shoal.
  2. A 90-degree heading follows the right-hand shore's base underwater for 100 to 200 yards to depths of 25 to 35'. Similar terrain, but some bigger boulders. Return more shallow by taking a right turn, head up-slope about 100' until in about 15' of water and turn right again toward the entrance/exit point.
  3. A 350-degree heading will take you around the base of the point between Front and Back Beach in less than 20' of water usually. Bigger boulders and crevices. Frequented by stripers.
  4. Crossing the sand between any of these routes is a little bland, but still very pretty in its own way, especially if there's a dappling of sunlight from waves above on the patterns in the sand
If you want, I'll email you a satellite map with the routes laid out.

Enjoy the dives AND the restaurant! Nates has excellent food at reasonable prices and they have a take-out window! :)

Dave C

ah yes, i was thinking front but said folly for the facilities and food. they all sound like they have something to offer. i like the sound of crlavoie's idea and making a day out of it. any chance some of these places could offer me a few bugs to throw on the campfire?

Many of these places will have bugs but it's getting late in the season so we're finding many more eggers than not.

As one who dove Cape Ann for many years I'd vote Folly Cove or Front beach can't go wrong with either one.

We actually decided last minute on Pebble Beach. We were going to go Folly Cove, but had NW winds and seemed like PB would be a better choice. It was awesome... about a 20 yd walk from car to water. Vis was about 30-35 at least, 61 degrees and a great reef (a bit of a swim though). Tons of crabs, few lobster (no keepers), several flouder and one of those jellyfish with the light show on the inside. If anyone knows the proper name for those things it would be appreciated. Thanks for all the help, I definitely plan to get back up there soon to do Folly Cove, I was looking forward to it.

We actually decided last minute on Pebble Beach. We were going to go Folly Cove, but had NW winds and seemed like PB would be a better choice. It was awesome... about a 20 yd walk from car to water. Vis was about 30-35 at least, 61 degrees and a great reef (a bit of a swim though). Tons of crabs, few lobster (no keepers), several flouder and one of those jellyfish with the light show on the inside. If anyone knows the proper name for those things it would be appreciated. Thanks for all the help, I definitely plan to get back up there soon to do Folly Cove, I was looking forward to it.

Glad you had good conditions! I'm surprised, but glad to hear of the improved vis!

Comb jellyfish, perhaps?

Dave C

Combjellyfish.jpg

Back
Top Bottom