Cape Ann Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcarter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I sent an email with no response, but I know many shops aren't great with that so I don't take it personally or as a reflection on the shop. Nonetheless, I hassss questions :)

I am visiting Cape Ann July 7 - 21

I don't see their fill rates on their site? Presumably they sell fill cards at a reduced rate over a la carte? I read that they don't do Nitrox, but assume they do have good clean (and dry) air? Your experience? I don't want to have to re-vis & O2 my tanks...

Should I contact them ahead of time re possible charters? How quickly do they fill?

Thanks in advance...

I haven't gotten fills there for some time but their air was always fine. They do have (or at least used to have) some policies that were (at best)unenlightened i.e. I've seen them require someone remove a nitrox sticker from a tank before they would fill it. Makes no sense but it is what it its. Her ball field, her rules. You can like it or lump it. There used to be another shop in the town but theve gone the way of the dinosaur. All that said, I like her. She is at least pleasant with her quirkyness.

As far as their boat goes, like all dive boats, if you have an advance reservation then you are guaranteed a spot but you've bought the seat when you mede the reservation. If it's raining that day you either dive in the rain or you eat the reservation cost.

Last I got fills there (last summer) it was $9 a la carte and $7 if you bought a 10 fill card. How quick their charters fill up depends on a lot of things--which boat it's on, whether any other shops book spots for classes (which they do pretty often), where the boat is going, etc. If you just want to hop on a charter or two while you're here, and aren't set on any particular one, you'd probably be fine just checking a day or so in advance, or even the day of the charter. You might strike out once or twice, but you'll get on something at some point!

I think Cape Ann Divers fills are either 8USD or 9USD without an air fill card (Might have went up a buck or two).

No nitrox unfortunately at Cape Ann Divers. A lot of people still find it very odd that they have yet to embrace nitrox since a lot of the boat dive sites they go to provide perfect profiles for nitrox. Most of the shore diving on the other hand in Cape Ann, nitrox is very rarely required since a lot of divers tend to be in 20-40fsw range.

One other weird thing about Cape Ann Divers, they do not like Green Nitrox Stickers on tanks. There are reports of the shop making people take the stickers off or at least covering them with duct tape before they will fill tanks with air.

A little ridiculous I know (not sure if that's still their policy) but it used to be well known by local divers. With that being said, Cape Ann Divers is still the most convenient location for air fills in that immediate area and they provide a wealth of knowledge about local dive sites, conditions and they also provide two great diving boats for charters.

If you're looking for a dive buddy I don't believe I have any charters or shore diving planned that week yet. I can recommend some sites when you're in town.

Definitely call them instead of relying on e-mail. I assume they don't deal with much in the way of e-mail traffic....I sent them an e-mail recently and Mary didn't reply for a few days....and they know me by name.

Camper packed, truck loaded with gear and ready to go. Hit the road @ 8:00am.

:)

I can only say but good things about Cape Ann Divers - the boat. You should call the capitan!

"There are reports of the shop making people take the stickers off or at least covering them with duct tape before they will fill tanks with air." That make sense in a way...my Dive Shop Giant Stride starts the fills with 100 Oxy then do the partial thingy....bad air could cause an accident ! One fill with not filtered air will null my Nitrox Sticker !! or least that's the idea ..

Matthew Marcoux
MMarcoux4@gmail.com
508-344-4646
Friday 7/19/2013
AM: Braces Rock and Norman's Woe, 4 Spots
PM: Full
Saturday 7/20/2013
AM: N. Voyager 180', 3 Spots
PM: Lobster Hunters Choice, 2 Spots
Sunday 7/21/2013
AM: SNL and the Chester Poling, full
PM: full

Just arrived home this evening.

We did Halfway and Burnham with Cape Ann last Saturday, a double Poling on Sunday with Daybreaker, (for which we drove to NorthEast for nitrox), and the Friday dive with Daybreaker although we did Kettle Island as a second instead of Norman's Woe.

And, of course, a bunch of shore diving including a night dive off of Old Garden on Wednesday past. Folly Cove, Back Beach, several day dives off of Old Garden as well, Pebble Beach, all fun dives. Took some time to visit Boston and Salem with my wife, and took in Mayhem in Mansfield on Tuesday. Topped it off with a record border crossing today - 7 whole minutes.

Everyone I met was great. Thanks for the help and info MACADO - nice meeting you on Sunday, and I hope you had a good time in Mexico this week.

Other than the nitrox, which I don't understand, the crew at Cape Ann were really good to us, very helpful and friendly.

Cape Ann Campsite was great as well, I would definitely return.

Glad you enjoyed your dives, we have some great diving here

Back
Top Bottom