Carbon Monoxide in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue73

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been reading on some threads that some folks were getting higher-than-acceptable readings of CO in their tanks. I am taking my family in August for a week-long dive trip, including 2 kids (13 and 11) that will be diving. I have never used a CO tester on my past trips, but I am seriously considering renting an Analox tester to use in Cozumel.

I will be using the dive op at the hotel that we are staying at. They get their tanks delivered every morning before the boats head out. From what I've read, it seems you have to release some tank air into a ziplock bag, and then test it with the Analox. For those of you that do this regularly, is it feasible to test all the tanks for the whole group (8 tanks per day) in a reasonable amount of time? Also, can I mark the tanks with a small sticker in order to ensure that my group recieves the proper tanks on the boat? Finally, will the dive op have an issue with the CO testing?

Any insight in CO testing and related practical matters is greatly appreciated.

Blue73

I should probably resist replying, because I have no insight to offer you, as I have not actually tested tanks- but this stood out to me:

Finally, will the dive op have an issue with the CO testing?
If they did; I don't think I would want to dive with them!

"I have been reading on some threads that some folks were getting higher-than-acceptable readings of CO in their tanks." Where? What threads? I would like to read those. Are they recent threads? I have not heard of this, and I am on the island several times a year-and have several diving friends that are there year round.Testing with the Analox device (the one that hit the market about 4-5 years ago, and looks like the nitrox analyzer, except for the color) requires no such plastic bag shenanigans....there is (or was) a different device that did-I have never seen this used, and haven't seen anyone post about using it in at least 3-4 years....which is what made me wonder where you saw these threads, and how old they were.I would very much like to hear about any recent trends in bad tanks on the island.

I have been diving there for 20 years and never once worried about it or tested my air. The only ones I would even think about testing would be shops that fill their own tanks like Aqua World.....A lot of the ops though have their own testers, especially for Nitrox.Maybe use that as a factor in determining your dive op? When I dove with Blue XT Sea in June, they tested every nitrox tank in front of you and you had to verify it.

"I have been reading on some threads that some folks were getting higher-than-acceptable readings of CO in their tanks." Where? What threads? I would like to read those. Are they recent threads? I have not heard of this, and I am on the island several times a year-and have several diving friends that are there year round.Testing with the Analox device (the one that hit the market about 4-5 years ago, and looks like the nitrox analyzer, except for the color) requires no such plastic bag shenanigans....there is (or was) a different device that did-I have never seen this used, and haven't seen anyone post about using it in at least 3-4 years....which is what made me wonder where you saw these threads, and how old they were.I would very much like to hear about any recent trends in bad tanks on the island.

Here's one from May: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...rned/506921-reminder-check-your-tanks-co.html

I don't know of any recent, significant problems being reported there - but they know that some of us are testing and would be eager to name & shame! Past performance may well not indicate future results tho. There is only one way to know if the tanks are safe: test every one. It's easy.
From what I've read, it seems you have to release some tank air into a ziplock bag, and then test it with the Analox.
Nope, not correct at all. Simple hand calibrate the unit by the little wheel, crack a tank, hold the unit to the escaping gas, read in 10 second, move on to the next tank. Ziplocks not needed at all.

For those of you that do this regularly, is it feasible to test all the tanks for the whole group (8 tanks per day) in a reasonable amount of time?
You can do 8 tanks in less than 2 minutes. It gets boring when you get zero after zero, until you finally find a tainted tank. :eek: Industry wide results show a 3% failure rate, which is a small number - unless you get one of those.

Also, can I mark the tanks with a small sticker in order to ensure that my group recieves the proper tanks on the boat?
Yep, no problem.

Finally, will the dive op have an issue with the CO testing?
Shouldn't. If you do, name them here. No one should ever object to a safety check.

It's your gas. You're going to be breathing it. You're entitled to test it.

We test our nitrox mix on the boat after our gear is on the cylinder. Our analyzer is set up to use a BCD quick-disconnect, but most boats have the Maxtec Handy which just requires you to disconnect the reg briefly then do what DandyDon describes.

I think stickers would just complicate matters. Test your gas when your gear is on a cylinder and there should be no confusion..

The dive operator should not have a problem with you testing. Nothing wrong with that. The Analox CO tester can test tanks directly from the valve. No need for a bag of air. It's very easy to do.

However..I'm still of the opinion that CO was never a huge problem in Cozumel. It's still not a huge problem despite what is said on scubaboard and other forums. *I guess this came out wrong but I'm trying to think of a better way of saying it without offending anyone.*

There are some dive operators that choose to fill their tanks with their own compressors and these are the ones I would test. Find out where your dive operator gets their air filled or ask them.

I'm sure DandyDon (a big CO tester proponent) will chime in shortly to give more thorough information.

*EDIT* DandyDon beat me to reply :)

The majority of dive operators get their air fills from Meridiano 87. Their fill station has inline carbon monoxide testing.

Frecuent Answer Questions | Meridiano 87
"Carbon monoxide is checked continuously via in line monitoring systems, with additional samples taken every fifteen minutes by our operators."

The other fill station on the island is Linmar which I admittedly do not know a lot about. From my understanding they only do air and not nitrox. So if you're getting nitrox then it's going to be from Meridiano

To my knowledge these are the only shops with their own compressor
Aldora (they offer CO testers, if requested)
Del Mar
Dive Palancar
Blue Angel
Sand Dollar
Dressel
Deep Exposure

Honestly, go on vacation, have fun and dive.

I marked my tanks as I tested them as I wanted to test both at the same time. My boat let me use their marker. I guess the mark came off in time.
The majority of dive operators get their air fills from Meridiano 87. Their fill station has inline carbon monoxide testing.
There were private reports of their tanks even after those were installed, as they were not installed with auto shutoff - so if the station is very busy, it'd be tempting to ignore warnings. Busy times are when compressors are at most risk tho. I know one op got his own compressor after those failures, but they keep all that quiet. You never know if you are getting all of the important news.

Again, there is only one way to know: test. Otherwise, your odds if you ignore the risk are still better than Russian Roulette. Your call. I test every tank and have refused some there.

I missed that...I don't get over to A/I much....clearly, not as much as I should.
I just went through my old emails to see how long I've had the CO analyzer-I got it in 2010, and if I recall correctly, I finally looked into it after there was a CO incident on the island, involving an OP that fills its own tanks; the story that was eventually posted suggested that a truck was left idling in the same vicinity as the compressor. No doubt there are others on the board who have more details and/or more accurate recall than I do, regarding this incident.
Anyway....I started testing in Sept. or Nov. 2010, and I do recall getting several tanks on that trip, and possibly the following trip (which would have been Feb 2011). There were some that were pretty high-ie 10-14 ppm. I would never dive that concentration, though physiologically, I probably could tolerate that. There are people who couldn't, and really, no one should take the risk. Keep in mind the partial pressure of the gas increases, the deeper you go...so 10 ppm at the surface is not what you will be breathing at 33, 66, or 99 feet.
Since those trips late 2010/early 2011, I have had only a few tanks that had more than 2-3 ppm. I dive a minimum of 70 tanks/year that are filled on the island, the vast majority coming from the central fill station-though I have been out a few times with ops that did not get there fills there.
I test every tank, every time. Other divers on the boat are sometimes curious and ask me about it-but never once did I get the impression that any one of them was actually concerned about CO in their tanks, and I have never once been asked by a diver to check their tank. I've never even had the impression that someone was hinting at it. This, after my explanation to the other diver(s) about the CO issue, illustrated with a few examples from my own professional experience dealing with anoxic brain injuries-including CO poisoning related. Would I do it if asked? Yes, if asked. It's up to each diver to find out about the risks of diving and make their own decisions, including whether or not to test, and what their own personal comfort level is regarding PPM of CO. I don't own that responsibility for others when I am out diving.
Why the lack of concern? I am guessing that it is because, statistically speaking, it is relatively unlikely to happen to any one specific individual. People that go to Coz to dive know that there are hundreds, and sometimes thousands, of divers in the water every day, and, as far as they know, "nothing bad happens". And most days, that's probably true. Also, they look at the DMs, most of whom have thousands of dives, and who have not had a CO incident, and figure their own chances are slim to none. And that's partially true-the "slim" part...not the "none".
There are people on this board who know a lot more about the various safety standards set by various occupational watch dogs, and standard in different countries-perhaps they will chime in.
That thread you posted, and the subsequent comments, are really interesting. As a point of clarity regarding the tank at Blue Angel that one of the posters declined to dive-I wonder if BA is still filling their own tanks? They were a few years ago. I have had a few similar experiences, one at BA, and a couple others, each with a different DM/shop. I have twice had a DM dive a tank I refused to dive-even when I asked them not to. I have also seen a DM-, and on a different occasion, with a different OP-a shop manager-simply take the tank I reported and casually set it "aside" right next to or among the other unused tanks. I saw no attempt to separate or identify the tank by number, or tag it.
I would NEVER count on any DM or any OP to actually pull a tank, much less investigate further. Some might, but I would not count on it. Over the years, several DMs have asked me about my CO analyzer-sometimes more than once-and it has been very clear in most cases that they either didn't understand the CO issue, and/or didn't care. Perhaps that would be my attitude if I had made thousands of dives without incident.
I also would NEVER count an a fill station to stop filling if their one of their CO monitor was down, nor would I count on a particular station to even have a CO monitor.
Testing takes moments. I haven't run into any protestations from DMs/shop managers over testing. It's really hard to imagine a DM getting that excited about you pulling out an analyzer-especially when many of them won't have any idea what you are doing.
Get on the boat. Put the bc on the tank. Wait until you are not idling at a dock or otherwise exposed to exhaust. Have the regs off the tanks shortly before you intend to test. Line em up and do it, just like for nitrox. And, of course, let the monitor equilibrate between tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom