Carl Gage Scuba Centre, Key Largo--Who Remembers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If anyone wants to contact me my email address is mhogan"AT"michaelhogan.net -- or mhogan"AT"ciphertech.com.au (obivously replace "AT" with @).. vv.vv.vv.michaelhogan.net -- or look me up on Facebook "Michael Hogan" in Australia -- all my Carl Gage Photo Albums are public..

Most all of the photos I have of Carl are in that tiny old 110 format -- badly degraded too. I spent several weeks restoring every decent frame I could find (I'm a professional photographer / photo retouching artist).. I posted EVERYTHING on my Facebook profile.. I'd be happy to share the higher resolution .jpg files with anyone and everyone (I'm sure that's the way Carl would want it!).. Just shoot me an email!

I'll always miss Carl -- he was like my father when I was growning up.. Carl influenced every aspect of my life, even today!.. I met my wife on a SCUBA diving trip to The Great Barrier Reef here in Australia in 1991.

I'd love to see any photos you might have of Carl in his glory days SCUBA diving in FL. Carl still loved to dive, even in California -- but he had to cut back on diving because he was going def in his one good ear. That was why he went into ballooning!

To the best of my recollection, Carl never married and he had no family.

The main hot air balloon we flew in was a giant (US) divers flag! Our company (Aeronaut Instruction and Research) motto was "Higher and Deeper" -- Carl and I had fun with that motto too!!.. If you knew Carl you'll know what I mean.. ha ha!

Last edited:
You can view my photos of Carl Gage on my facebook page:

VV.VV.VV.facebook.com/people/Michael-Hogan/100000985927496

This stupid forum software wont let me post urls -- so replace VV.VV.VV.

There are three albums of Hot Air Ballooning trips with Carl in the early 1980's.. They are all available to everyone.. I think you do need a facebook acount though.. You don't have to send me a freind request or anything in you don't want to.. I'd be happy to hear from anyone regarding Carl..

Does anyone remember Lew Maxwell that had the original Florida Frogman shops in Miami? He sold the business to Carl Gage.

http : //fishcampstories.blogspot.com/2010/07/tales-from-reef-by-capt-brad-neat.html

Some photos of Carl Gage from California and book review of "Tales of the Reef" by Brad Neat

The year was about 1962, my mom was renting out the back part of our house. It was an efficency, and we lived in Cococonut Grove. A bald man who looked like Mr. Clean inquired and rented it for several years. Yes it was Carl Gage. He was my best buddy, and friend. I was 13 years old and my 19 year old brother had just joined the Corp. Carl was a USMC Major in the 4 Anglico Marine Reserve Unit in Liberty City. He had tons of medals from the Marine Corp pistol team. He was a disc jockey at the local classical radio station at the time, what a manly captive voice. He had a few scars on his body from stabbing wounds from his hand to hand combat in the Korean War.
As I got to know Carl, he was the owner or part owner of Florida Frogman a local dive shop. He had this blue van with a six foot underwater scooter mounted to the top, I believe was from the
James Bond Thunderball movie. I believe he help build a lot of the scooters and underwater devices used in the movie. Anyway we ran together in combat boots, swam off of Key Biscayne, and did manly things. Carl moved out to Key Largo and opened the first dive shop in the Keys. I lost touch with Carl at this time.
Vietnam War comes and I got drafted, but joined the USAF. Come home for my first leave in 1970 and go to Key Largo, see Carl in a local restraunt, hook up and got certified that week, before BC,s. For the next several years had many dives with Carl at his business. Life goes on and before I knew it Carl closed his dive business and moved to Helen Ga. and Hot Air Ballooning where I heard he was killed in a ballooning accident. Not.. as one of the post said. Call me at
786 301 5039 and talk about the legend. Carl inspired my life. My brother later work for 4 Angleco as a Major doing the same job as Carl.

I just wanted to say how much I enjoy and appreciate these stories - Carl Gage sounds like he was an amazing guy. It's not too difficult to imagine a book or movie about his life and the earlier days of rec diving. Heck, the the title would definitely have to be "Higher and Deeper" :)

I went out with Carl's operation a few times in the early 70's. Quiescence Diving bought and occupies the facility, Quiescence Diving Services , Inc., One of Key Largo's Finest Diving Operations. I think it was called Key Largo Diving Headquarters. Carl was a colorful local character. I recall he even had "Dive Instructor" in large letters down the arms of his wetsuit. There were lots of characters in the diving business in those days. That is before a lot of the businessmen moved into diving.

I looked at their picture. It looks like Harry Keitz's old location. Harry called it "American Diving Headquarters" or something similar. Is that the same building?

Many thanks for all this.

What a flood of memories come rushing back to me as I read about everyone's reminiscences of Carl Gage!

In the early 70s Carl certified me as a diver, and flattered me by telling me I was one of the few women in the field at that time. He regaled me with stories of his life as a marine and underwater pioneer and consultant on movies. I was "Bikini of the Week" on the cover of the dive center's newsletter. Boy, I wish I had that picture of myself today. :)

Carl was such a tough instructor - maybe that was NAUI vs. PADI methods - he rather looked down on PADI as not being rigorous enough. I remember having to retrieve dive equipment by free dives in 30' of water (did everyone have to do that?), and a couple of serious nosebleeds and total exhaustion at the end of the day. But he taught me great respect for the water and lots of words to live by when diving. He thought only insecure sissies wore knives while sport diving - after all, why would you need a knife if you're just down there looking around? He, quite presciently, foresaw the trend of being preoccupied with a lot of fancy gear instead of focusing on the pure sport and pleasure of being underwater.

I just think he was a fantastic guy, one of the more unforgetable people in my life. It's good that so many people remember him.

To the best of my recollection, Carl never married and he had no family.

He wasn't married, but he had a daughter with his long time partner. I worked for him 70-73 and grew up behind his shop..

---------- Post added April 9th, 2012 at 10:17 AM ----------

What a rush to read all of these posts. I was born/raised in Key Largo, right behind his shop. I mowed his lawns (shop and house) and wound up working for him from 70-73. His tutelage helped me in SE Asia...
I have done extensive searches for him, and this thread helped fill in a lot of blanks.
He did have a daughter. She was from his common law partner and the name Wendy comes to mind.
The man was larger than life, helped anyone in need, taught you anything if you would listen, was strict as hell, and loved his classical Opera music...
The Captain of his second boat "Henrietta" was Mike Vogt... Mike had lost a leg in Nam but could out swim anyone...
Love to hear from anyone that knew him... and especially his daughter...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom