Carnival 2020 avoid or partake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I go every year during carnival and love it. I stay at El Cantil, and unfortunately after the parades stop, there is a vacant lot across the street (next to Mega) where a band usually starts playing until the wee hours.

GO!!!
Been there,done it, wish I could be there this year!
Casa Mexicana is in the heart of the action and will be fully booked that week. Easy spot to view the parade from the balcony but people start claiming THEIR spots at 2pm for a 6pm parade.
The noise did not bother me but I did not go to bed until 3am and still made the AM dives LOL
What's not to like? Parades, Big Micheladas and awesome local bands at the park

Mike

GO!!!
Been there,done it, wish I could be there this year!
Casa Mexicana is in the heart of the action and will be fully booked that week. Easy spot to view the parade from the balcony but people start claiming THEIR spots at 2pm for a 6pm parade.
The noise did not bother me but I did not go to bed until 3am and still made the AM dives LOL
What's not to like? Parades, Big Micheladas and awesome local bands at the park

Mike
That's a nice recipe for DCS. I would highly discourage divers from following the advice of little sleep and partaking in alcoholic beverages until wee hours of the morning before a dive.

That's a nice recipe for DCS. I would highly discourage divers from following the advice of little sleep and partaking in alcoholic beverages until wee hours of the morning before a dive.
I've seen it done in Coz. Seen them leave for the chamber.

Looks like we are arriving Sunday Feb 23rd so will catch last several nights of Carnival. We are coming into Cancun in the evening. What are the options if arriving Coz about 10pm? Will Melgar be shut down completely? Will we need to walk a few blocks east or south to get a taxi (assuming we don't stay in town)? Would it be better to stay in PDC that night and come over early in the morning?

We haven't booked anything, just had to jump on $160 RT airfare.

Looks like we are arriving Sunday Feb 23rd so will catch last several nights of Carnival. We are coming into Cancun in the evening. What are the options if arriving Coz about 10pm? Will Melgar be shut down completely? Will we need to walk a few blocks east or south to get a taxi (assuming we don't stay in town)? Would it be better to stay in PDC that night and come over early in the morning?

We haven't booked anything, just had to jump on $160 RT airfare.
depends on if there is a parae that night sometimes there is a Sunday parade and other times there's not - depends on level of participation each year

It will depend on if you like new experiences when you travel or prefer to pretend you are still at home. If all you want to do is dive and eat tacos another time would be better.

It will depend on if you like new experiences when you travel or prefer to pretend you are still at home. If all you want to do is dive and eat tacos another time would be better.
That's not the same thing. Just because someone does not prefer to participate in the Mexican Mardi Gras does not mean that they want to pretend that they are still at home. In this case I can certainly understand why someone might not want to be arriving for their visit to the island with all their equipaje, stress from travel, etc., at the ferry dock in the middle of a Carnaval parade on Melgar.

So there's no diving or eating tacos during Carnival? (I wish that was how I spend my day when I am home.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom