Carry on bags...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kent_1848

Reaction score
I'm looking for a (the) largest carry on bag that I can find. I want it to be a backpack style, so I'm not lugging it through airports, or trying to wheel it around people. Anyone have any suggestions?

I use a wheeled back pack so I have both options, it seem to work well

ScubaSarus:
KMART has a good luggage section that should do you well.
Airlines vary wildly concerning carry on stuff. Then it varies again from airport to airport. All I can say that if you don't over stuff a "legal bag" which carries about as much as a kitchen trash can, you will be allowed to carry it on board. On non USA legs of your trip especially on short hop planes the carry on usually will go in the baggage hold no matter what. For diving, always carry your mask, regs, computer and gauges. You can always buy more clothes, toothpaste and other stuff if your checked baggage is lost. Fins, wetsuits, booties, etc. are always available at the diving destinations.

I personally found that K mart has few choices in luggage, so stay with Macy's, Sears and Target. I actually found some almost legal bags at Sam's Club and have not had any trouble yet. The best part is the bag has a detachable back pack that I can take off if the airline does not like the size.

Hey, Check out "Gear Bag" forum under "Accessory" section. You can have a lot, lot , lot of information about what you want..... Or using "Search" function. It will bring out a lot of inputs to you..... :dazzler1:

Wal-Mart also has some good luggage choices. I bought an American Tourister wheeled bag from the Oahu/Waipahu store to replace the one that got damaged (see the thread about carrying on regs vs. checking them in). It's very roomy, and while I still checked it in, it would have been allowed as a carry-on.

Just to throw in an option from the other end of the economic spectrum, the gear made by Red Oxx is top notch, but pricey. These guys are former military parachute riggers, and everything they make is heavy duty and well engineered.

They have a backpack style bag here.

TCB:
Just to throw in an option from the other end of the economic spectrum, the gear made by Red Oxx is top notch, but pricey. These guys are former military parachute riggers, and everything they make is heavy duty and well engineered.

They have a backpack style bag here.

Just to add to the high-end spectrum of options.... Lowepro makes great luggage products specifically aimed at photographers, so that the backpacks and other items are very sturdy and well-padded (both to protect the gear and to avoid strain for the wearer). http://www.lowepro.com/Products/

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/notebook_camera/Stealth_AW_II.aspx

I use this model from lowepro. I will carry a small arsenal. i put a digital video camera + housing in it, along with all the chargers. A dive rite wreck one canister with an H21 head and a video reflector + the explorer reflector, a digital camera, a laptop, my computer and bottom timer, ulcs arms and connectors and it still has room for more, it retails for 200 but you can find it cheaper on the net, and it also comes with a rainguard and a seperate laptop case which is one of the best i've seen. It has sufficient padding to protect all your stuff, and is basically indestructable.

Back
Top Bottom