Carry on bags...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kent_1848:
I'm looking for a (the) largest carry on bag that I can find. I want it to be a backpack style, so I'm not lugging it through airports, or trying to wheel it around people. Anyone have any suggestions?

I use a good strong backpack for my carryone. Dont try to pick it up, it normally weighs 50+ pounds.

This is because my check in boxes are always 69 pounds each, and I dont want to cash out another $100 for an extra bag.

BILLB:
I personally found that K mart has few choices in luggage, so stay with Macy's, Sears and Target. I actually found some almost legal bags at Sam's Club and have not had any trouble yet. The best part is the bag has a detachable back pack that I can take off if the airline does not like the size.

Some of the Sears bags have a lifetime guarantee.

I'm pretty sure they weren't thinking about anybody using it as a dive bag, but if they're willing to guarantee it, I'm willing to take them up on it.

Terry

It is a good info.. I don't think there is a clause what you use the bag for in the warranty agreement.

Web Monkey:
Some of the Sears bags have a lifetime guarantee.

I'm pretty sure they weren't thinking about anybody using it as a dive bag, but if they're willing to guarantee it, I'm willing to take them up on it.

Terry

hoosier:
I just get the shippment today. High Sierra 36 inch Wheeled Duffle/Back Bag in RED..
It looks great and holds a lot of stuff..

Check out this thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=1048228#post1048228

Strictly speaking, 4 inches over max checked baggage size for most U.S. airlines (62 linear inches). Chances are you'll get away with it forever, but you might want the 30" size which is clearly a couple of inches under.

How is it in backpack mode when full of gear? I'm intrigued by these multi-mode bags, but sceptical.

I know what you are talking about. But, in reality it never happened to me. Most airline companies are more focused on the weight than the length. You know why!

I used to carry 36 inch or 38 inch bags many times for the international travels (at least 6K miles per trip). I never need to try it for the domestic travel though..... :wink:
No, actually I did the domestic trip because I used to get the transit somewhere so I have to use the domestic airline at first.

I packed two full sets of gear and then I was in backpack mode. Great.....
It is also much lighter than twin AL80s..... LOL....

One thing I can consider is to get the extra shoulder pad for the backpack mode. It is a little thin for the heavy weight (two full sets including 10 lb weights).

lairdb:
Strictly speaking, 4 inches over max checked baggage size for most U.S. airlines (62 linear inches). Chances are you'll get away with it forever, but you might want the 30" size which is clearly a couple of inches under.

How is it in backpack mode when full of gear? I'm intrigued by these multi-mode bags, but sceptical.

slightly off the subject... Has anyone had a problem going through airport security with having an underwater strobe, mine's a DS 125, in their carry on bag?

CATWOMEN:
slightly off the subject... Has anyone had a problem going through airport security with having an underwater strobe, mine's a DS 125, in their carry on bag?
I travel with ds50 and a housing in my carry on with out any problems as long as I tell the security people what it is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom