Carrying both primary and back-up lights.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always carry two lights on all dives (daytime, nighttime, warm water or coldwater).

They permanently live on the shoulder D rings of my harness - clipped on with a boltsnap and held tight to the strap with a "snoopy loop" (a length of MTB inner tube cut to approx 1/2" and fed onto the harness) which is about 3 inches lower than the Dring.

There are a number of reasons why:
1) I can never forget to take them if they are always there.
2) You never know when you might want additional light (to look in a crevice etc).
3) You never know when someone else might want light - easy for me to hand a light off to someone during a dive
4) I can transfer the light between hand and clip in less than 5 secs (because the location is fixed I know exactly where and how to get it without even looking).

I might look at a soft goodman handle particularly for night dives

I've been told Ed @ Cave Adventurers has some nice light socks.
Cave Adventurers - OxyCheq Raider Light Sock (Raider I & II) - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

I use bungee as opposed to the inner tube because it still holds tight but is a little easier (to me) to put back in it's place with gloves on. I use a keeper and the bungee gets tied around the webbing and stays in place. I haven't had any issues yet, but if I do have problems with gloves I can always tie a small loop in the bungee to be able to pull it out and slip the light in. I had inner tube, but it was a pain trying to pinch it out with gloves....took too much time. With the bungee I don't have to look down.

I've also thought about getting these just because they look cleaner, but I'm too lazy at this point to order / pull the webbing back apart when what I have works.
Utility Keeper

Reactions: Zef
Shore diving, pure heaven, and hell, the only place you can be at one and if it takes your fancy solo

Come and see me sometime, although at the moment I think we'll choose somewhere less daunting

I used to live atop that cliff, madness

Man, that looks nice!

Just back into diving and taking it slowly. Dove with my newly certified brother down to around 30' on Oct. 12th. Our first dive together and what a treat! This is on the menu for Friday and, hopefully, favorable conditions will prevail:
SFCresized.jpg

Back
Top Bottom