Cash for FI Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnW

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Drysuiting it.... in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Can I just bring USD $ or should I get some local currency ahead of time? Do most places take Visa? I'm always afraid of Visa screwing me on the exchange rate.

Just thought about this and I'm leaving Saturday morning.

We always take USD's with us. Even the ATM machine we use in the West End gives us the option of USD or local currency. I don't know about the Visa since we use cash.

Enjoy.

Hey CC! Hope you have a great time...traveling alone or the Mrs. joining you?

justleesa:
Hey CC! Hope you have a great time...traveling alone or the Mrs. joining you?

Thanks Lisa, Diane is in Quebec City with her Sister. I hear the diving is not so hot there(plus I don't speak French), so I'm off to Roatan, plus someone told Diane the Shopping on the Bay Islands is not as good as Waikiki:wink: . Hopefully we'll be back on Oahu in the Fall (working the same deal with our Framer for his Time Share) so I can dive and Diane can Shop. Say Hi to Roger for Me.

Aloha

John

Hi Josh, FI accepts Lempira as well as US dollars. I found there was no benefit to having one or the other at the resort. Outside the resort is another story. Having a few lempira for barganing souvenirs could be handy.

Cheers!

CatalinaCanuck:
Can I just bring USD $ or should I get some local currency ahead of time? Do most places take Visa? I'm always afraid of Visa screwing me on the exchange rate.

Just thought about this and I'm leaving Saturday morning.

As an FYI -- Visa doesn't set the exchange rate, it's the bank that issued you your Visa card (so you can check that online). They will typically be better rates than for. ex. place on the island. Have some Lempiras on hand is never a bad idea, though.

Make sure you have cash for the exit tax ($35-$45?) at the airport. They do not take credit cards. Tell Deri the DM Dave and Evy say hi. Have a great time.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Exchange rates are usually pretty good when using a credit card, BUT the international fees they charge have gotten significant - from a low of 1% to 3 or 4%! My credit union visa only charges 1% which appears to be very good comparing to other banks.

Dave Zimmerly:
Make sure you have cash for the exit tax ($35-$45?) at the airport. They do not take credit cards. Tell Deri the DM Dave and Evy say hi. Have a great time.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Did'nt even know about that, thanks. I'm on my way to the bank to get some US $.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom