Catch your own lobster, claw machine!!!!!???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They installed one of these in my local bar. I've seen people drop $100 in one sitting without catching a single bug. Renting tanks and buying a license is a lot cheaper!

Kinda takes the fun out of it if you don't have to search em out then wrestle em into the catch bag and fend off all the other predators getting them onboard,Oh heck,put me in for a few bucks....

Makes me think about Toy Story... with the little aliens! :) Its a little sadistic... but funny!

Lobsters are usually stored in a tank anyways.......now all that restaurant did was to make the tank an interactive affair where the patrons get to catch the lobster for a $2.00 try.

i think this is no big deal.... either the Chef takes the live lobster from the tank and drops it into the boiling pot or the patron catches the lobster and the chef takes it and drops it into the boiling pot.

I think the boiling pot is more cruel.........but lobsters are yummy in the tummy

scuba41girl:
It comes off as a lack of respect for the animal.

Yes, that's EXACTLY the problem. Sure, it may not cause too much more harm, but it DEFINITELY shows a lack of respect.

I watched an interview with Dr. David Suzuki the other day. At the end of the interview, after discussing lots of issues, he mentioned how we must change our lack of respect for nature and our environment in order to move forward.

Having such a tasteless device, while minor in the scheme of things, shows a complete lack of respect. Some people may find it funny, but I guess that's the problem Suzuki warns us about.

Do people really wonder why other cultures find Western attitudes disturbing?

- ChillyWaters

Oh yes, and all the other cultures in the world show so much more respect to the enviroment than westerners do, like shark fin soup. Now there is an enviromentally friendly idea, catch a shark, cut the fins off, the throw it back into the ocean to die, slowly, such respect, such honour, such love of nature...

I'm a fan of cutting it open while still alive. But that takes practice. Its supose to be the most humane way.

http://secretlifeoflobsters.com/faq/ask.asp

Q: What's the best way to kill a lobster?
A: Before putting lobsters in the pot, I kill them quickly so they won't suffer in the boiling water. I use a technique taught to me by a professional chef. It may seem a bit gruesome but it's effective and more humane than boiling them alive. Place the lobster upside down on a cutting board, and position the tip of the largest, heaviest kitchen knife you can find between the legs, about halfway down the body, edge of knife facing the animal's head. In two swift motions, first plunge the knife into the body and then pivot the knife edge down sharply to split the animal's head in half. The lobster's nervous system has no brain but rather a string of connected ganglia. The ganglia that control the rear legs and tail won't necessarily be completely severed by this process, and there may still be some reflexive movement, but the animal is no longer alive.

TrojanCatMan:
The lobster's nervous system has no brain but rather a string of connected ganglia. The ganglia that control the rear legs and tail won't necessarily be completely severed by this process, and there may still be some reflexive movement

actually, that is the basis for the thought that without a brain and only ganglia, not nerves, the lobster can't feel any pain ... even in boiling water

but i am totally with killing an animal fast, just in case. i skewer fish through the head when i first take them out of the holding tank or bucket just for that reason

Back
Top Bottom