Cautionary tale for new divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm all for training and diving within your limits. However, there are some people who are "natural divers". I am serious about this. They can learn very quickly, they are smart, strong, athletic, coordinated, brave and have a desire to progress. Most recreational divers might only have one (or none of these) traits. It is hard to judge someone without seeing them in the water and watching them handle some challenges.

Diving a 130 feet is not a huge deal for some people, however I know at least one very experienced divers (thousands of dives in the 100 ft range) who is not at all comfortable with the narcosis going past about 120 ft. Narcosis, depth, task loading and new gear should not be taken lightly, but it really depends.

I think a lot depends on the mentors the diver has available to them. If s/he can emulate their practices effectively and they are good practices and they are making solid progress - not too much to worry about, it is pretty surprising how fast some people can progress.

Of course there are those train wrecks - who have dozens of dives and just can't seem to master the basic skills or handle moderate challenges.

I’m dealing in generalities for obvious reasons. The reality would make your toes curl. Diver in question has a partner, but I cannot tell if partner is on FB or not.

I know you are dealing in generalities, but I would be curious as to what and kind of and degree of major changes you feel your FB friend is doing that makes you feel he is pushing things too much? Can you provide an example if that isn't too much?

I should have asked is your friend certified to dive that deep? If not then they are certainly diving outside of the limits of their training let alone whether they are task loading.

I should have asked is your friend certified to dive that deep? If not then they are certainly diving outside of the limits of their training let alone whether they are task loading.

Yes, has AOW.

Thanks for the private message Marie. He is well off the mark from where he needs to be. Just my opinion. Good luck with educating him.

Last edited:
Likewise to above. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Good luck.

Cheers -

I certainly would be reluctant to dive with someone who I feel could be unsafe in the water.

Buying gear and not practising sufficiently with it, both in a pool and open water, before relying on it in a SHTF moment is dangerous imho. Especially if you are planning on relatively deep long duration dives. Be sure you can use the gear in a safe manner before you need to user it for real in a high stress situation

Whoops! Guilty on that one i have a virgin sausage.
Oo-er Mr Humphries :D

John_Inman.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom