Cautionary tale for new divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To provide a bit more context to tide everyone over until @dewdropsonrosa posts additional details...

Diver in question had a very recent serious emergency incident. It could have very easily gone terribly wrong. Diver’s lack of response to this incident was directly related to lack of experience and practice with a major gear configuration change. Diver has also been publicly expressing diving goals for the near future that are solidly in the tech realm, without any indications of getting the requisite additional tech training.

I will say that I have learned since I began this thread that there are others who have noticed the same things I have and are also concerned about this diver.

Guy had also expressed an interest in my Straits trip, which partly prompted that thread about vetting divers.

Last edited:
. . .
Diver in question had a very recent serious emergency incident. It could have very easily gone terribly wrong. Diver’s lack of response to this incident was directly related to lack of experience and practice with a major gear configuration change. . . .

Consider posting about it in the Near Misses and Lessons Learned forum (with names omitted for privacy). A specific incident can be something to learn from and discuss, as opposed to the generalities in your original post.

Guy had also expressed an interest in my Straits trip, which partly prompted that thread about vetting divers.

I run a trip to BC every year... extremely remote, very strong currents etc. I have no problem telling people they can't come when they aren't experienced. Just too much paperwork if something goes wrong.

Consider posting about it in the Near Misses and Lessons Learned forum (with names omitted for privacy). A specific incident can be something to learn from and discuss, as opposed to the generalities in your original post.

It’s not my place to publicly post that incident’s details. However I believe it will show up under Near Misses soon.

I hate to sound like a butt-head, but why is this your concern? Some people are very comfortable in the water, have faith that the engineers that design dive gear know what they're doing, and are confident in their abilities. While your friend's approach may not align with yours, does it matter? If he's your buddy, then I understand your concern, but otherwise, you have expressed your concern, so I suggest you back off.

What it really comes down to is this: this guy often dives off the same charter as I do. His reckless attitude has the potential to interfere with my diving if I'm on the boat or in the water if he does something stupid. I also don't want the people I know and like to be involved if something goes south with him. The wreck diving community here is small.

It's like a freaking train wreck or car crash you just can't help but watch.

I totally understand your concern, some people think there is nothing to worry about.

On the other hand, some people are just comfortable with diving and they take to it really fast. I would be more concerned if he wasn't taking safety procedures seriously BUT aside from that, if they take all safety precautions seriously then how can one person tell another person if they are ready or not? Only you know if you are ready.

I know a young guy who has only been diving a year and already has hundreds of dives. He was dropping down to 110 before he had 10 dives in. Granted his mom is a life long scuba diver and she is really good, so I am sure they discussed what if's thoroughly, and I think thats very important.

PS no one I know down here even has their AOW, because its mostly private boats. They all dive to 130 all the time, and if I am being truthful they dive even deeper than that.

I'm here with details! Please see this rather clinical write-up - I'm trying to be factual for analysis rather than completely coloring this with my personal opinion about how Buddy would have been dead in a pile of gear with a full pony bottle without me.

So that both threads remain topical, I'll ask that we keep discussion about new divers overextending themselves here and accident analysis in the linked thread.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom