Cave CCR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbone:
@kensuf in your example, do you think that having say cavern/intro done on OC with some experience in between, then going to CCR Full cave with TDI for their 4 day course would be sufficient?

FWIW, I had a student that was in this exact situation earlier this year. Here's what I found out when reading through the various standards.

Although IANTD and TDI have modular CCR levels (i.e. "CCR Intro to cave"), they won't allow a person with OC Intro to Cave to go straight into CCR Full Cave; the pre-reqs for their respective CCR Full Cave divers are either "CCR Intro to Cave" or "OC Full Cave" (for the crossover).

However, a person could do a CCR Intro to Cave crossover/upgrade then complete CCR Full Cave through both of those agencies. That's about a 6 day program.

And the NSS-CDS doesn't have a modular CCR cave program. It's either the zero to hero program, or a CCR Cave Upgrade for a full cave diver.

In the end, we wound up spending 7 days together before he was finished.

If you figure 4 days to finish OC full cave then 2-4 days to do a CCR Cave Crossover, that's 6 to 8 days for the last step plus 4 days for Cavern/Intro (10-12 days).

If you figure 2 days to crossover to CCR Intro then 4 days to do CCR Full cave then that's at least 6 days, maybe more, once again that puts you in the 10-12 day range.

So the shortest path for someone that wants to be a CCR cave diver and has zero overhead experience is technically the CCR cave course (~7-8 days). However, just because it's the shortest path, I don't think it's the best path. If I had my druthers, do full cave on OC first THEN do CCR cave crossover. The gas and distance planning that should be part of any full cave course will translate directly to CCR cave.

@kensuf is it currently possible to teach CCR cave courses with students and instructors diving different units?

We’ll disagree on this a bit. I’d agree that a strong foundation on OC in caves has merit. But, I think you can be just as safe with a proper/thorough course without it.

A good instructor should not be issuing you a Cave CCR card if something as simple as a failed rebreather could put your life in jeapardy. Yes, if the CCR dies, you resort to open circuit, but this is hammered in right along with all the other skills taught in your cave class.

@kensuf is it currently possible to teach CCR cave courses with students and instructors diving different units?

Yes, depending on agency

Yes. The instructor does not even need to be an instructor on the students unit, the student's not learning how to dive his CCR, he's learning how to dive a cave.

Pete, my point on the OC full cave front is I think it's the BEST way, not that I think other ways aren't acceptable. It's like a choice between plain vanilla, french vanilla, and vanilla chocolate chip ice cream. All three are acceptable, but one is better than the other.

So French Vanilla right?

I have a friend who had been diving deep wrecks on doubles for longer than I’ve been alive. He know’s OC backwards and forward. I don’t know that it will matter to him (in skillset) one way or another. He obviously didn’t want to pay $2k for OC Cave, then another $1500 for CCR Cave.

I have a friend who had been diving deep wrecks on doubles for longer than I’ve been alive. He know’s OC backwards and forward. I don’t know that it will matter to him (in skillset) one way or another. He obviously didn’t want to pay $2k for OC Cave, then another $1500 for CCR Cave.

And I know guys that have years on a CCR that probably would fight tooth and nail about the idea of going to OC for cave training.

And yes, French Vanilla. :)

Depends on the student of course. Unless they don't agree on French Vanilla, then they're paying for all the classes.

Back
Top Bottom