Cave diver death at Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You drag scooters into mainland?

never less than 2, one spare and I remove the shrouds to give me more clearance....:dork2:

Sorry, I should have said scootered back to that area.

never less than 2, one spare and I remove the shrouds to give me more clearance....:dork2:

Sorry, I should have said scootered back to that area.

Gotcha. The way I understand it is this team took them into mainland to scooter back there

I REALLY Hope what you have heard is not the actual plan..... any chance they missed/lost their stages and they are still back there somewhere?

Summarized in a nutshell . . .

RIP.

I heard about this tragedy early this morning, from Rose, when we checked into Ginnie. I am in the midst of completing my CCR Cave course. For some reason, even though I do not know the divers involved, the news shook me up enough, that along with some other equipment issues I had, that I chose to sit out on the first dive. I just could no longer get my head into the game. I realize that accidents such as this are an unfortunate part of the sport, but the close proximity of it (we left only an hour or so before it happened), made it really hit home. Thoughts & prayers to the family & loved ones of the divers involved.

A sobering reminder as i work through cave class. My last class was in ginnie.

I would not dive mainland without 2 stages and would never scooter that area. The restriction at 3100 ish is usually low viz on return.

Gotcha. The way I understand it is this team took them into mainland to scooter back there

I would expect to see the cave get blown out if scootering as attempted there...a good way to end up with buddy separation...

I would expect to see the cave get blown out if scootering as attempted there...a good way to end up with buddy separation...
yea agreed.
i'm curious how much gas the surviving team member was left with. i would hope she waited a good long time for her buddy before leaving.

Guys! Many times we use scooters to get to an area and then park them when it is not a scooterable area and swim the rest. It does not mean they used the scooters all the way back there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom