Cave diver death at Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guys! Many times we use scooters to get to an area and then park them when it is not a scooterable area and swim the rest. It does not mean they used the scooters all the way back there!

its my understanding that that did take scooters into the mainland area through all those low bits.

Guys! Many times we use scooters to get to an area and then park them when it is not a scooterable area and swim the rest. It does not mean they used the scooters all the way back there!

word on the street is they took them in there.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please remember that the purpose of this thread is to discuss the details of the incident in the hope that readers will learn from it. It is not a place for condolences. If you wish to offer condolences, best wishes, or prayers, please use the thread in the Passings forum that was created for that purpose.

Scooter was recovered from the belly crawl area yesterday...

Safe diving,

Rich
Rich,

Do you know if the surviving diver was wearing LP85's and not LP95's? Someone PM'ed me a correction that the deceased was wearing 95's but the buddy only had 85's.

Ugly stuff......

The mainland jump is near the top of the rise heading towards the Hinkle, roughly at 2800'. Gas plan would normally involve 2 stages, and then drop bottles and scooters at the jump. I can't imagine scootering through the tighter spots on Mainland.

So to recap where we're at (and someone chime in if I've missed something):

2 divers, 2 scooter, no stages, scootering to 3500ft, on lp85s or 95s, siltout, diver 1 heads for the door, diver 2 ditches his scooter, attempts to swim out and drowns.

Is that the gist of it all?

Back
Top Bottom