Cave diver death at Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For a non-diver - in the cave at any given point in time are there very few people in a cave or are there teams of folks coming and going? How busy does Ginnie Springs get - are there 5 people or 50 people in a cave in a day? And is it all hours or are most dives done in the morning or afternoon? Just curious.

I am used to ocean dives where you are limited by tides on a shore dive or when the boats run and take you to a dive site.

What AJ said. My buddy and I made two dives at Ginnie over the weekend. While there were other divers, the only ones we saw in the system for about 3 hours were during deco in the Eye. With all the passages, it is not unusual to have multiple teams diving with out ever seeing another team.

Pretty big dive on OC.

Pretty big dive on OC.
Why do you say that? It's a 2hr dive, tops, even planned well it's only 2 stages and a single deco gas.

Big because of distance.

I live in South Africa, so no I am not familiar with Ginnie. I have also never used a scooter. All our caving is done with the legs. It does look like a lot of fun. When and where do you start your deco during this dive?

I live in South Africa, so no I am not familiar with Ginnie. I have also never used a scooter. All our caving is done with the legs. It does look like a lot of fun. When and where do you start your deco during this dive?
Deco is done in the spring basin right where you enter, typically sitting on a rock or in the ceiling so you're out of the flow.

Does every cave dive encounter a deco obligation? Are there short cave dives that are fun that don't need deco? I am not interested in learning to cave dive but I am interested in how it works. I would imagine maybe just training dives or checkouts? Otherwise if you are not going for deco are you wasting your time in a cave?

Does every cave dive encounter a deco obligation? Are there short cave dives that are fun that don't need deco? I am not interested in learning to cave dive but I am interested in how it works. I would imagine maybe just training dives or checkouts? Otherwise if you are not going for deco are you wasting your time in a cave?

I'm not a cave diver either, but whether you incur a deco stop obligation depends on time and depth and gas mix just like any other dive. Whether you're in a cave or not is irrelevant to that. I would imagine there are some caves, like maybe in Mexico, that are shallow and could be dived quite enjoyably without a deco obligation.

Florida caves that are most dived tend to be at the 80-100 ft depth, thus nitrox and deco are pretty common among cave divers there.

Back
Top Bottom