Cave diver dies in South-East (Australia)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And just for those that may never, Get it?

It wasn't the distance that was the problem, it was the restriction that she wasn't able to pass through in the reverse direction
Agnes was a dear friend to me, and I am totaly fed up with this bull**** information being put out about the circumstances of her death. Show some respect by not making false statements of fact. That is what is occuring in the quoted statement, as well as some other statements made in this thread and others by Scubaboard members (including more than one moderator). I have seen so much speculation by uninvolved people about her death, gleaned from tidbits of "information" on the internet. Accident analysis is vital to diving, and speculation is part of that. Spouting misinformation and passing it off as fact detrimental to our sport, and is disrespectfull to the victims. PLEASE KNOCK IT OFF!!!
This was certainly a very unfortunate loss of a special person from what I have read here. Personal feelings are supposed to be avoided here according to the Special Rule for the forum - see http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/52701-special-rules-please-read.html, but well - it's still sad.

Our purpose for this forum is to try to understand what when wrong, not blamestorming as mentioned in the rules, so we can avoid similar accidents. For most of us that is easy enough in that most aren't going to explore new passages in caves alone, but - I understood from following the thread that Tortuga's brief post above was correct: It was not distance but rather restriction that precipitated the accident, so - would you like to explain the correction there?

We do have a Passings forum for personal feelings and a thread in her memory: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/passings/372209-rip-agnes-milowka.html

FAAAAAAAARK!
I have no idea what that meant but then I seldom do when he posts.

And so hath the inept thus spoken the buzzard of ghouldom

[video=youtube;1tqxzWdKKu8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1tqxzWdKKu8[/video]

And to those that cometh....

Last edited:
Agnes was a dear friend to me, and I am totaly fed up with this bull**** information being put out about the circumstances of her death. Show some respect by not making false statements of fact. That is what is occuring in the quoted statement, as well as some other statements made in this thread and others by Scubaboard members (including more than one moderator). I have seen so much speculation by uninvolved people about her death, gleaned from tidbits of "information" on the internet. Accident analysis is vital to diving, and speculation is part of that. Spouting misinformation and passing it off as fact detrimental to our sport, and is disrespectfull to the victims. PLEASE KNOCK IT OFF!!!

I am very sorry for your loss and that you have read things on here that have upset you. However, other people who claimed to know said that what the media was reporting was false and that Ag could not get back through the restriction. So it sounds like what the media is reporting is true after all, that she was lost and ran out of air. Please do correct me if this is wrong...

Although I cannot remember where I read it (and this accident has been discussed on multiple forums) I am quite sure that someone involved in the recovery posted that she was found on the far side of a tight restriction, having removed some of her gas supply to pass it on the inward leg. Diverdoug, if you have information to the contrary, would you please post it to clarify the story? Most of us, I think, believe she behaved much as the folks in Sanctum did, and willingly took the risk of abandoning redundancy for the reward of seeing some otherwise inaccessible new passage. If that is not the case, please enlighten us. (And although I am not a fellow sufferer, I know people with exploration disease -- and it does affect one's judgment.)

60 minutes, an Australian topical news program, just ran a story last week on Agnes Milowka and her death while cave diving in Tank Cave

Video and transcript is now online: 60 Minutes

Just for once it was not a "beat up" by a news program!

Yeah but they brought back the Lost, disoriented not able to find her tank thing again. This was not the case. She couldn't get back through a tight spot.. she was running her own line and not lost.

How do you know she was not lost? Were you there with her?

My apologies, based on statements made earlier in the thread that appeared to be from credible sources, and also talking myself to a CDAA member, I understood that what I posted was accepted as fact. However it's not first-hand knowledge, & I guess I should have made that clear in my post. I thought I was just repeating known information for the benefit of someone who joined the thread late

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom