Cave diver dies in South-East (Australia)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although I cannot remember where I read it (and this accident has been discussed on multiple forums) I am quite sure that someone involved in the recovery posted that she was found on the far side of a tight restriction, having removed some of her gas supply to pass it on the inward leg

This was posted on CDF, and reposted here [by me] attribuited to Ken Smith:

I was one of the divers who assisted with the recovery of Agnes from Tank Cave. We have discussed what we should say and have written the following. This is a very sad time for us all as you can imagine.

Ken

On Sunday 27th Feb, Ag was exploring in Tank Cave, using sidemounted steel tanks. She tied off to the existing cave line and reeled out.

Ag unclipped one tank to pass through a series of restrictions. At some point she made the decision to leave this tank to make further progress. Ag continued to explore before turning to come home. Coming back in silty conditions, she was unable to navigate a restriction. She ran out of air before she could return to her tank.

Her body was brought to the surface by cave divers on Wednesday 2nd March, co-ordinated and supported by the South Australian Police and with help from the State Emergency Service (who are volunteers). A full investigation is being undertaken by the Coroner.

Ag was an inspirational diver who accomplished many impressive feats in a short space of time. She will be sorely missed by her Mum, Dad and many friends and buddie

Yeah but they brought back the Lost, disoriented not able to find her tank thing again. This was not the case. She couldn't get back through a tight spot.. she was running her own line and not lost.

All of the media reports that I have read or seen state the same thing regarding Ag being lost or disoriented, running out of gas, and some implied that she was not running a line there. The only statements to the contrary that I have seen are on bulletin boards by other divers and they state that she could not make it back through a restriction. Which is correct?

BTW, even if someone is found on a line, we have no idea if they ever left the line or were lost and re-found the line.

Reports I am most inclined to believe and most consistent with the reports of Ag's skill set and diving history indicate the information Tortuga68 posted above is the more likely accurate. I guess you would have to take it as speculation because I can't give my sources as my information is from people who are close to the situation and do not want to be quoted.

I posted this earlier in this thread .......IMHO *ag* 's death was a result of her drive to explore and therefor holds little in the form of "lessons to learn" for 90+% of divers. Only her peers in the Cave diving/exploration community are likely to really understand. The rest of us.. can only look at her accomplishments and be reminded the price Pioneers and Explorers have paid through the ages. I am not sure that repeating the refrain "Never do a dive you do not have the training and experience for" has any value either..just my .02

I doubt there is anything further to be learned from discussing this incident except perhaps for Cave divers. They are likely to share and understand information in their own sites.

We have lost a vibrant and talented member of the diving community... we need to respect that and her memory. I have asked myself what purpose there is in my posting here any further. For me there is non ... rehashing speculation, "facts", "truths", what ifs surrounding a kind of diving I am not and never intend to engage in feels pointless, voyeuristic and disrespectful.

Each to their own...

Last edited:
Nasze dzieci nie moza byc wlasnoscia

Originally Posted by canadianwingnut
Can anyone tell me how far it was from were she was found to where she left the other tank??

(tortuga68)
It wasn't the distance that was the problem, it was the restriction that she wasn't able to pass through in the reverse direction

I was just trying to find out if She had left the tank and slipped through a single
restriction and just could not get back through (the tank was just feet away) or .......If the tank was a long way back!!
Was this a matter of ...Im going to take a quick look and got stuck "or"
a Long way from the Tank.

My Questions are not to intended to upset anyone!!
Was that Vulture picture meant for me????

Last edited:
Was Kevin there? Post #139:

What's your point??

This was posted on CDF, and reposted here [by me] attribuited to Ken Smith:

I was one of the divers who assisted with the recovery of Agnes from Tank Cave. We have discussed what we should say and have written the following. This is a very sad time for us all as you can imagine.

Ken

On Sunday 27th Feb, Ag was exploring in Tank Cave, using sidemounted steel tanks. She tied off to the existing cave line and reeled out.

Ag unclipped one tank to pass through a series of restrictions. At some point she made the decision to leave this tank to make further progress. Ag continued to explore before turning to come home. Coming back in silty conditions, she was unable to navigate a restriction. She ran out of air before she could return to her tank.

Her body was brought to the surface by cave divers on Wednesday 2nd March, co-ordinated and supported by the South Australian Police and with help from the State Emergency Service (who are volunteers). A full investigation is being undertaken by the Coroner.

Ag was an inspirational diver who accomplished many impressive feats in a short space of time. She will be sorely missed by her Mum, Dad and many friends and buddie

Unable to navigate a restriction could mean she was lost or not lost. It doesn't indicate anything. I've been in passage where it took me several attempts to navigate the restriction on the way back, including once when the line popped out of my hand. Had I not found the line again, I would have been lost, even with the line directly under me as it was.

You might want to stop commenting on something you know very little about.

Although I cannot remember where I read it (and this accident has been discussed on multiple forums) I am quite sure that someone involved in the recovery posted that she was found on the far side of a tight restriction, having removed some of her gas supply to pass it on the inward leg. Diverdoug, if you have information to the contrary, would you please post it to clarify the story? Most of us, I think, believe she behaved much as the folks in Sanctum did, and willingly took the risk of abandoning redundancy for the reward of seeing some otherwise inaccessible new passage. If that is not the case, please enlighten us. (And although I am not a fellow sufferer, I know people with exploration disease -- and it does affect one's judgment.)

Agnes and I discussed accident analysis a number of times, and knowing her feelings on the subject, I feel that I am not betraying any trusts by confirming the facts in your statement. Dandydon is correct that personal feelings have no place in accident analysis. My anger and frustration is directed at individuals (such as Tortuga68) who parrot the guesses of others they read on the net, and present misinformation as fact. Doing such a thing is detrimental to analysis that could keep another diver alive, and is disrespectful to the dead.

Unable to navigate a restriction could mean she was lost or not lost. It doesn't indicate anything. I've been in passage where it took me several attempts to navigate the restriction on the way back, including once when the line popped out of my hand. Had I not found the line again, I would have been lost, even with the line directly under me as it was

I didn't say she was lost. Neither have I said she wasn't lost. I wouldn't know one way or the other because I wasn't there

I tried to edit my post #194 to indicate it was speculation based upon the 'report' by the recovery divers, but the post is locked. Once again, I apologise for presenting it as fact

Last edited:
Reports I am most inclined to believe and most consistent with the reports of Ag's skill set and diving history indicate the information Tortuga68 posted above is the more likely accurate. I guess you would have to take it as speculation because I can't give my sources as my information is from people who are close to the situation and do not want to be quoted.

I posted this earlier in this thread .......IMHO *ag* 's death was a result of her drive to explore and therefor holds little in the form of "lessons to learn" for 90+% of divers. Only her peers in the Cave diving/exploration community are likely to really understand. The rest of us.. can only look at her accomplishments and be reminded the price Pioneers and Explorers have paid through the ages. I am not sure that repeating the refrain "Never do a dive you do not have the training and experience for" has any value either..just my .02

I doubt there is anything further to be learned from discussing this incident except perhaps for Cave divers. They are likely to share and understand information in their own sites.

We have lost a vibrant and talented member of the diving community... we need to respect that and her memory. I have asked myself what purpose there is in my posting here any further. For me there is non ... rehashing speculation, "facts", "truths", what ifs surrounding a kind of diving I am not and never intend to engage in feels pointless, voyeuristic and disrespectful.

Each to their own...

This bears repeating . . . just sayin'

This bear IS repeating...

Back
Top Bottom