Cave Diver mishap Ginnie Springs 04SEP09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

not according to the paper.

so what happen to his buddy? did he follow him into the crack?

so what happen to his buddy? did he follow him into the crack?

According to the news article linked at the beginning of this thread, they became separated.

Sobering...... to say the least. Thoughts & prayers to friends, family & everyone involved in the incident. I was just down there at the Devils' Ear last week going through more of my Full Cave training. My cave instructor just called me about it. In the course of conversation he reminded me of the seriousness of the sport I am pursuing & learning, & again why training & proficiency is so important.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Condolences thread is here. Please keep this one restricted to the actual mishap - what happened and how we might prevent a repeat.
Thanks,
Rick

The diver has been identified as Bruce Clark Bosshardt

Last edited:
RIP Bruce.

What does it mean (this coming from a non-cave diver) when they say the "line had several traps"?

What does it mean (this coming from a non-cave diver) when they say the "line had several traps"?
The line was crossing through restrictions in the cave that couldn't be passed by a diver, either in configuration, or at all. One would need to either pull the line out a bit to cross through sizable enough passage, or let go of the line and find it again after the restriction.

This is something we really have to watch out for... learning the cave is important, so you can identify where the lines are and what needs to be done in the event that we have to exit in zero visibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
The line was crossing through restrictions in the cave that couldn't be passed by a diver, either in configuration, or at all. One would need to either pull the line out a bit to cross through sizable enough passage, or let go of the line and find it again after the restriction.

This is something we really have to watch out for... learning the cave is important, so you can identify where the lines are and what needs to be done in the event that we have to exit in zero visibility.
This is something that needs not only to be watched, it needs to be fixed. I know that it isn't possible to eliminate all line traps on all existing lines overnight, but we (the cave diving community) need to attack this problem one trap at the time with the goal of making a sightless exit probable - not just possible - without leaving the line. This may even take a change in existing law to allow the placement of guideline eye-bolts in places where the line can't be placed reliably around existing structures.
Rick

Right on. I remember doing a blind exit from JB. That part at the chimney is always a line trap. Takes extra time to work around it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom