Cave diving Cert Agencies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whatchu talkin bout willis?

All I ever said was its something I respected them of... I'm not going to change my opinion that the Wakulla connections were a whole lot more interesting than Ox Bel Ha :p

Read up.

I think we can all agree that, if your goal is to dive sidemount, you're better off with an instructor from an agency other than GUE. I don't know how many people go sidemount from the get-go. Most everybody I know (GUE trained and otherwise) has stayed in backmount for a while. Especially in MX, there is SO much cave you can dive in backmount.

Is that one of the more realistic failures that Liteheaded reffered to? Right post dead and a completely fubar'd wing?
Erm, losing your right post and losing your wing are one in the same....jus sayin :wink:

I guess you could still orally inflate, but i think killing the right post proves the point pretty well.

I don't think anyone was making fun of PADI. Kelly state a fact about PADI's former requirements to be a cavern instructor. I replied with my own experiences. I know there are instructors that never see the inside of a cave unless they're teaching. But yet they still get students and their students think they're great because they don't know any better. I have even seen an instructor teaching a cave class and doing the lost line drill in the cavern zone! But at least most of the other agencies require some sort of internship to become a cavern instructor. AFAIK, PADI is the only agency that does not require an internship.
How many agencies allow crossovers from other agencies without an internship? That's what gets me...join the one and I guess the others trust each other to enforce standards??? :confused:

Erm, losing your right post and losing your wing are one in the same....jus sayin :wink:

Kinda depends on the setup, dontcha think?

...regardless, oral inflation isn't that big of a deal.

Kinda depends on the setup, dontcha think?

...regardless, oral inflation isn't that big of a deal.
Not in a GUE class :wink:

I'll agree oral inflation isn't a big deal, especially in a cave that doesn't change depth much. My guess is these instructors give it their best attempt to simulate a broken dump valve, it's a good skill to know if you dive H wings :wink:

It's not a big deal unless the cave goes up and down and up and down (as the Mexican caves can do) and you are hauling out an unconscious buddy . . . That was MY lesson in why wetsuits aren't optimal. Of course, Danny couldn't answer my question at the time, which was how I was going to manage to pee in a dry suit. There is a solution now :)

lamont:
I'd argue that beginning cave divers shouldn't be going into those places and should build up experience in a bit larger cave before taking sidemount courses anyway.

I'd go so far as to say 90% of the sidemount divers out there have never been in a passage that couldn't be done in backmount. Sidemount is a configuration.

Things like demanding doing valve drills in trim with good buoyancy rather than the instructor taking the attitude that you'll silt the cave out anyway, so it isn't important.

If you're referring to what I think you are that wasn't what was said. But if you prefer to spread lies told by someone who went instructor shopping until he found one who would sign off on his full cave card, keep on doing it.

How many agencies allow crossovers from other agencies without an internship? That's what gets me...join the one and I guess the others trust each other to enforce standards??? :confused:

There's only one I'm aware of. I teach for multiple agencies and interned with instructors from all but the one.

I think we can all agree that, if your goal is to dive sidemount, you're better off with an instructor from an agency other than GUE. I don't know how many people go sidemount from the get-go. Most everybody I know (GUE trained and otherwise) has stayed in backmount for a while. Especially in MX, there is SO much cave you can dive in backmount.

SM from the beginning will be more common now that there are more sidemount capable instructors.

Besides, my point is that other agencies instructors can AND DO produce excellent divers, even in BM.

It's not a big deal unless the cave goes up and down and up and down (as the Mexican caves can do) and you are hauling out an unconscious buddy . .

Florida caves can go up and down too ya know?... :p I'm not sure why all you MX lovers think they're all deep high flowing trunks, but whatever.

If I have a right post failure and an 'unconscious' buddy(read as drowned - unless we are at the beginning) fate is out to get me. This is an unrealistic scenario IMO.

Not in a GUE class :wink:

I'll agree oral inflation isn't a big deal, especially in a cave that doesn't change depth much. My guess is these instructors give it their best attempt to simulate a broken dump valve, it's a good skill to know if you dive H wings :wink:

or dive rite wings. same springs, no?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom