Cave Diving in Cozumel - July 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, GDI, for the analysis. I have been taught that the weakest diver should be in the middle of the team, and we have often had that person lead, but I never codified it into a principle: The weakest diver CONTROLS the dive. Makes beautiful sense, once you think about it.

TSandM:
Thanks, GDI, for the analysis. I have been taught that the weakest diver should be in the middle of the team, and we have often had that person lead, but I never codified it into a principle: The weakest diver CONTROLS the dive. Makes beautiful sense, once you think about it.

yup, and when they don't communicate effectively they lose responsibility+control. It sucks to be in the middle, too much work. :)

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to my original post. I never expected it to garner so much debate. This piece was first published in the 3rd ¼ 2006 issue of the NACD journal. I cut it down a bit for this message board and perhaps some of the things I left out would have stopped some of the controversy. I originally wrote it for three main reasons:
First: to discuss the beauty and grandeur of the Cozumel caves, which are way too often overlooked as a potential cave diving destination. Face it fellas if the Cozumel caves were in North Carolina or some other state instead of right across the channel from the numerous, unbelievably spectacular caves of the Yucatan we’d all be flocking there and they’d get a whole lot more attention than they usually do,
Second: to tell the story of an out of shape, older, cave diver who discovered that he needed to start working out again when his lack of conditioning caused a problem back in the cave.
Thirdly: I had such a good time with, and have so much respect for, German Yanez Mendoza as a man and a cave guide that I thought I’d describe a very enjoyable day and perhaps more folks would know about his operation.

Let me begin by agreeing with every one of you who noted my lack of conditioning, and for making many reasonable statements about how dangerous that can be. In a way I considered this piece to be a kind of “Lessons Learned” type of posting- using myself as the object lesson who’s done the dumb stuff. My big mistake – I’d let myself get out of shape. It happens real slowly. Over many years of gradually decreasing my level of exercise due to a busy schedule, family obligations, and just plain laziness I let my once tough and conditioned body gradually dwindle away. You don’t really see this happening on a day to day basis. It’s only when you call upon your body to do more than the ordinary activities of daily living that you realize: Holy Cow – I’m out of shape!!!
I wasn’t being cognizant enough and honest enough with myself. I’m lucky nothing really bad happened and I thought it might be a good reminder to all the other cavers who are gradually going to pot. The last few edited out sentences of the NACD article noted that I knew the error of my ways and was doing something about it.
“Pat Wikstrom, who lives in the Smokey Mountains of North Carolina, has been a member of the NACD since 1998 and does a wide assortment of technical and recreational diving around the world. He currently can be found working the leg press machine at a local gym getting ready for a tech week at the Bikini Atolls in October.”

I’d also like to quickly comment about those critical few minutes surrounding my turning of my dive in Cueva Quebrada.

I was lucky that the specific section of the cave where I chose to turn the dive was a relatively smooth place with no signs of delicate cave features. If there had been soda straws or stalagmites in that location I probably wouldn’t have touched down and chosen to stand on my fin tips. I had been hovering and pulling on my fins and would continue to do that on the way out but at my turn point I chose to try and really stretch these cramps out “once and for all”.

I was also lucky that my experience in silted out caves, wrecks, and very muddy TVA lakes has given me a healthy respect for, but no real fear in zero vis conditions. There was a thick layer of silt which I knew might hide delicate features and I was conscious that I was about to create a total silt out but I knew neither German nor I would have any problem following our line out. I didn’t like having to touch down in the mud. Like most of us I pride myself on leaving no sign of my presence, even to the point of not disturbing a silty floor. I note in my story “Taking up a position loosely holding the line I commit one of the worst sins in cave diving: I stand up on the cave floor”. But for me the decision to relax and breathe deeply, stretch out the cramps and prepare myself to safely exit the cave was the right move.

I didn’t consider going deeper into the cave just to “catch up” and turn the dive. I was turning my dive right then and there. A frantic race to catch somebody, on top of being in pain, just adds a second problem in a sport where combined problems can lead to accidents.

There’s been a ton of speculation about how far apart German and I were and the length of time we were separated for. I know some folks are taught to dive consistently within touching distance of their buddy. Frankly I’ve always been much more comfortable with a little distance between team members. I don’t want to be right up your butt and don’t want you right up in mine. With competent team members it just makes the dive a bit more enjoyable if you have a little bit of space around you to make adjustments, speed up, or slow down to look around. Over the several hours German and I had already been diving together I think we naturally gravitated to a comfortable but safe distance between ourselves. Also anyone who’s spent much time in caves has seen a time when a lead diver pops into a new feature, through a restriction, etc. and needs to concentrate and move on to most optimally traverse the passage. My turn location was one such spot. The cave narrowed appreciably and took a hard hook to the right. Later I found out it had angled up as well. Basically a light trap, there was no way anyone could have seen my light signal. Also I really don’t know if this was 45 seconds or two minutes till he showed back up. As I stated in my response last week: “It's hard to say if this was one, or two minutes. Time stretches out in those situations.”
I really want to stress that I never thought German made a single mistake, or wasn’t appropriately aware of me, or took too long to re-appear. It was a weird cave, hard to turn around, you weren’t there, so just believe me, he was cool. Any fault was mine.

Jason B and GDI make a very accurate point that I should have turned the dive much earlier. Jason states: “Had he thumbed the dive when the first cramp hit, they never would have made it to the restriction to begin with so the team separation would have never occurred.” Absolutely correct. My mistake. Lesson Learned!!

GDI also makes several good comments about the foolishness of engaging in “Trust Me Diving”. I agree. Although much of my rec/tech diving around the world involves hiring guides to show me their caves and wrecks I’ve never let them guide me into anyplace I didn’t think I couldn't get out of on my own. I lay my own line arrows and don’t go further than I know I can get myself out of. As a solo diver with over 13 years experience I know in the end we’re all ultimately responsible for our own decisions and penetrations. I’ve never been dependant on a guide to drag me or show me the way out

I want to add a bit of the published piece to add to your knowledge about Mr. Mendoza.

“Finally after carefully walking back to the truck we stripped down along the roadway, packed our gear, and pulled out to head home. Almost immediately it became obvious that we had a flat tire. With no spare, at the end of a long day, I expected this guy to get distressed. I’d have probably been cursing like a sailor. But German didn’t bat an eye. He drove a few hundred feet further, pulled off in a wide spot, then we got out and looked at the shredded rubber. About the time I was wondering how we were going to get out of here a little hatch-back pulls up in front of us, an attractive young lady hops out walks up to German and gives him a hug. They talked for awhile in Spanish and we started loading our gear into the back of her car. Riding back to town I ruminated on how it seemed like German’s mellow, cave diver attitude of: {Stop – take a deep breath- and Chill out} had worked its magic on a problem as terrestrial as a flat tire.”
My point is that this guy is a true gentleman, a consummate diver, explorer, teacher, and guide. If you’re ever in Coz and want to get off the reef and check out the caves you really can’t do better than to hire this guy.

Lastly I want to thank all those who responded. You all do great credit to our sport. The amount of passion, and debate, and emotion that can get churned up by a simple trip report like mine is a testament to the excitement, enthusiasm, and even obsession with which we value our diving. To rjac3221 I apologize for using any internet profanity towards you. It was undeserved, unprofessional, and I’d had too many rum & cokes when I typed that response.

I’ve greatly enjoyed reading all your thoughts and comments. This truly seems to be a great message board. I’ll probably meet some of you- some day -somewhere, cause that’s the nature of our fairly exclusive sport. It will be my honor to dive with you guys.

Sincerely
Mr. Pat

PS – If anyone wants the long version of my article just e-mail me your address and I’ll send it on. Just don’t expect an immediate response because I only turn on this black box once a week or so.

PSS - after all this darn writing I think I deserve a second star.

Dive Safe and Often
Pat Wikstrom

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom