Cave diving instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver gadget:
I had Larry Green as my Instructor. I can't say enough good things about him. He was very thorough and it was quite the course. I am sure that there are quite a few good instructors out there. Just get one that you a comfortable with.

Did you recently complete a class with Larry?

Ah OK. I interned a class weekend before last and the student was a guy from Ontario. Just wondering if you were him. :)

chickdiver:
Ah OK. I interned a class weekend before last and the student was a guy from Ontario. Just wondering if you were him. :)

No, not me. Wish I was cave diving a week ago. I am coming down in 3 weeks. Get into some caves and get some practice in. We did have a few different people interning with Larry when we were down there. One from the States and one from Brazil. I guess Larry teaches quite a few instructors. He was a great guy.

I know both Paul and Jill. I've dove with paul on a few occasions and he is a very compitent diver. I never took classes from either of them but know a lot of people that have as I live only a few miles from their shop. Without going into too much I would recommend Jill over Paul, as she is a little more demanding in what she expects out of her cave students.

Other than that Terrance Tycell (spelling?) would probabally be my choice. He invited me to join and observe a class of his anytime. That was when I was interested in doing a cross over from TDI to another agency. And of course his reputation preceeds him.

Larry Green is also an excellent instructor here in Florida (I assume thats where you want to train?)

Anyway you choose to go make sure you feel that you are getting the most out of your training. It can also be a good idea to take your intro with one instructor and your full with someone different (I'm sure some will not like this idea, but I feel that you can learn more from 2 people than one.)

Goold luck.

Edit I Incorrectly refered to someone else above and edited it.

roguediver:
I to am looking for an instructor to start my cave traing with. The only one I have talked to so far in person is Gary Taylor and he sounds like a good guy.

:sharky:
If you are considering training in Mexico, then I highly recommend Protecdiving.com - Scott Carnahan and his partner Matt. These two guys are by far the best cave instructors around. They train according to NSS and IANTD standards. I spent 10 days with them for the full cave course and they were exceptional. A warning - if you are looking for someone to cut corners or hold you hand - these guys are not the one's to train with. If you want hard core cave dive training which will make you an excellent cave diver - then these are the guys in Mexico. They are absolutely spectacular. Good luck.

I personally prefer Walter Ross, Great Instructor, Excellent skills, PLENTY of experience. He is a Instructor Trainer as well, teaches cave, tech cave, sidemount, and more. Great Guy.

I know a wonderful instructor is in Japan.
A certain ow instructor began cavern diving.
He became Intro Cave Instructor after 3 months.
He is the shortest in four ow instructors.
He is wonderful to acquire an instructor in a short time.

He is a special instructor.
He was the writer of the magazine, and became Trimix instructor at July, too.

It always amazes me...
People start cave-diving, have around 10 dives and can then judge that their instructor was the best....
Of course he was, sine HE certified THEM :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom