Cave diving instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paul seems to be a god in the industry. Sheck Exley referred to him as "Uncle Paul," I think, with a great deal of respect. If he was good ehough for Sheck ...

Also, I think Paul was the guy that went in, found, & recovered the bodies of the two guys that died while cave diving with DPV's, after a number of others had tried and failed to do so. The interview with him that I read spoke volumes about his abilities and also character.

Mr Crab:
Yeah I heard he got booted outta nacd for doing some unethical stuff.

LOL!! and you are who? I guess im unethical too. Damn it. You need, to check your facts, before you start slamming someone!! Especially before making a comment like that. Bring up, something that you "DO" know. He is no longer the train guru, for nacd. He is working for iantd, and the nsscds.

If you would like to have a personal conversation,PM- email me.danmitsu at hotmail dot com

Dan

Select your instructor wisely for this certification. Ignor the inter agency and my instructors better then your instructor politics. There are many excellent cave instructors out there. NACD, NSS-CDS, IANTD, GUE, TDI. Go to the various web sites and you may get a better feeling for the "who is who" in the same little community of cave diving. Good Luck

Contact the instructors and communicate with them. Get a feel if you mesh personality wise and business wise. Check for hidden costs and what is included in the training. Some call it a day at a set time, others will spend as much time as you want. How well do they know the geography of the area. A great cave instructor in one part of the country may not do as well as someone in a different part of the country. This isn't knocking their skill but ability to adapt to better sites for the conditions, logistical support, etc.. Determine how active they are. A cave instructor that just meets the agency number of certifications a year may not be the best choice. Discuss what equipment you own and if it appropriate for that instructor. I have seen students selling reels at dive sites because the instructor would not allow that particular style or brand. Find out about lodging and distance to and from the training sites. Ask if they have additional equipment available for rent or loan in case a piece of yours breaks or malfunctions.

DanMitsu:
LOL!! and you are who? I guess im unethical too. Damn it. You need, to check your facts, before you start slamming someone!! Especially before making a comment like that. Bring up, something that you "DO" know. He is no longer the train guru, for nacd. He is working for iantd, and the nsscds.

If you would like to have a personal conversation,PM- email me.danmitsu at hotmail dot com

Dan

I was never slamming anyone in my post. I simply felt obligated stating that I heard a rumor about the person the original poster asked about taking instruction with. I never meant it as fact that is why I didn't specify exactly what I heard, just that it would be wise to check it out before deciding. I meant no offense to anyone. If the rumors are false then I apologize for implying they were.

DanMitsu:
I agree, the best buddy, i have ever been in the water with.
DiveSafe
Dan

Just took the Cavern Course with John. John is a great instructor with tons of experience. Will work you hard till you have it right. I plan on doing the full Cave with him.

Nic160:
Does anyone have any oppinion or experience with cave certification with Lloyd Bailey?

Lloyd Bailey enjoys a fine reputation as a cave diving instructor.

Capt Jim Wyatt:
Lloyd Bailey enjoys a fine reputation as a cave diving instructor.

I got my Nitrox and Cavern with Lloyd. (Next week i'm doing intro to cave) I've enjoyed the classes and have been considering Full Cave. I wanted to get other oppinions from people in the cave diving community. I've been diving 16 years. In the eyes of an open water diver, I think highly of Lloyd. Not knowing much about cave diving, I was wondering what other cave divers oppinions were.

Lloyd has trained many divers. One of those divers runs another organization. Lloyd is a safe, competent, experienced instructor who does what he loves for a living.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom