Cave Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stryker

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have begun my gear transition to prepare me for the tech classes, but have been unable to find suggestions on a few regs that are "cave friendly" (i.e. no tool disassembly).... If you could give me a few suggestions on regs it would be greatly appreciated.

I currently dive an Atomic B2 and was thinking about getting the cave ring set for it, or should I just leave this as my single tank/rec regulator? Thanks for your input.

Not sure if its taught in the higher end cave or tech courses, but i havent seen much in the way of UW repair pushed by the tech agencies. I recall hearing something about GUE wanting bolts to be finger tight so you could pull off a second stage, now that has evolved to having them lightly wrench tight and taking a tool with you. Personally i can take off the front cover of my 2nd stage, diaphragm and clean it out if neccessary, but what else do you really want to do UW to clean up or fix a reg - as far as i could tell the cave ring was just a nice way of taking off the face of the B2, some regs are just easier to do that with - such as my Zeagle ZX 2nd's and i am sure others are also easy enough. As for reg malfunctioning, this is the reason you have a backup and a buddy, protocols and gas reserves, just in case the brown stuff hits the spinning thing.

As for regs, all i can say is get some that are DIN, one 2nd on each 1st (have 2 1st's), get a long hose and bungee your backup around your neck. Some regs dont accept long hoses or have funny connections that make it tough or require an adapter, at least some Mares ones i saw. I did hear once about using pistons for your stages in case you had to swap over regs between bottles as they would accept flooding better than a diaphragm, but again that might be an old wives tale or something that is beyond the scope of most people's desires.

So what courses are you doing, are you looking for recommendations on regs to buy, just due to the pulling apart idea or because you would like to get a cave dedicated set?

well not 100% sure about if I want to make a cave dedicated set..... I am going to get a set of doubles that will most likely be used strictly for tech (want to do tech wreck as well as cave)....

I am looking at the NSS-CDS cave training program (not enrolled, and will most likely not be for a year or so).... I have heard alot of great things about it.... I guess the reason I was thinking about the cave "friendly" regs is mostly from what I read on the GUE website.... I am not sure what the real "threat" of silt/sediment/ect causing a malfunction in your reg, but I guess better to be safe than sorry....

As for the configuration, I am familiar with the setup (have been diving the long hose for a few weeks now) but realize that I will have to purchase at LEAST 2 reg setups, and was thinking about possibly using the B2 as a stage bottle reg? any thoughts on this?

I have heard argument that a tech diving reg should be able to have the second stage cover removed without tools to facilitate cleaning it out if needed, however I am not overly enamored with the idea. Anything that got in the second stage can usually be shaken or blown out and removing the cover requires that you not lose any of the parts involved (there can be as many as 4 involved on some second stage purge cover designs) and that you are able to get the diaphragm reseated successfully underwater, something that is not always guarenteed to happen. It is at best a practice that is limited to a cave as doing it in open water in a current would be extremely difficult.

My preference is to set the IP on all of the back gas and deco first stages so that the second stages can be swapped if needed. Carrying a small wrench in a pocket is all that is required and is much safer than leaving them finger tight as very rapid gas loss can occur if the second stage unscrews itself from the hose.

But regarding regs with easily removeable covers, the Scubapro R190, R380/390 and G250 are ideal with simple one piece cover designs that tend to be easy to unscrew by hand. The G500, G550, and S600 have removeable covers as well but they are 2 piece affairs with more parts to lose. The X650 has a removeable cover but there are 3 pieces involved. The older D300/D350 and D400 also have removeable covers but there are again 3 pieces involved and the dipahragm has to be properly indexed on the second stage case, so it is a bit more complex to work on in the water.

Most of the USD Divers/ Aqua Lung second stages use a cover where no tools are required as well.

DA Aquamaster:
It is at best a practice that is limited to a cave as doing it in open water in a current would be extremely difficult.
Have seen plenty of current in caves thus far, almost as much as OW :wink:

The Dive Rite regs can be cleaned in the water. I've done it. Good regs too.

However, purging the regs and waving them around has the same effect.

That really is not much of an issue though. As DA says you need to be able to swap 2nd stages around. I personally have the 2nd stages finger tight and I check them before getting into the water.

This is one of those areas where you should ask an instructor or hang out with your local tech divers and see what they are using and ask them questions.

Peter

pdoege:
This is one of those areas where you should ask an instructor or hang out with your local tech divers and see what they are using and ask them questions.
Unfortunately the area I live in currently has no caves, and I know of no cave-divers....Hence why I asked on here... :wink:

I did alot of researcch on this about 2 months ago. I talked with Reggie Ross, one of the lead instructos at Ginnie Springs, and I went with two Apeks TX50 (which are the same as the 200s), with DS4 first stage. My other consideration per his instructions were the DiveRite 2500. Apeks makes a great reg for caves and wrecks. Call to your instructor, it will save you some time I think.

well again, unfortunately I am not enrolled in a class right now (due to my geographic location).... but I was looking at a pair of apeks ATX 200 for my doubles setup... so you think the ATX50s are just as good?

FWIW, I silted up one of my second stages underwater. I was not able to clear it despite some vigorous shaking, so I unscrewed the cover, cleaned it out, then put it back together and continued the dive. This was at 60 feet in a river.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom