Cave Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've heard there isnt much difference in terms of performance, the 2nd stages of the TX-50's are nicer - TX50's are larger and have less bubble interferance (sp?) and they are cheaper, what isnt to love about them - unless you want the latest/greatest which would be the ATX-200 black pearls (again no different than regular 200's, just a shiney outer shell).

Stryker:
well again, unfortunately I am not enrolled in a class right now (due to my geographic location).... but I was looking at a pair of apeks ATX 200 for my doubles setup... so you think the ATX50s are just as good?
Yeah. Save the money and go with 50s.

Dunno dude, I use Scubapro Mk20s/500s in the cave, no worries. Atomics are pretty sweet regs, can't see why they wouldn't perform just as well. If you have them and like them, get a few more of them and work with them. I don't use Apeks, but my friends do and they use 50s. Hose routing can be convoluted with the 200s, plus...you'll end up with at least 4 of them. Unless you just want to drop a wad on four 200s, may as well go with 50s if you're inclined to Apeks. But I think your Atomics will do nicely. FWIW. YMMV.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice.... I guess the idea of people telling you "you have to have cave SPECIFIC regs" is a load of BS.... I really like my atomic, but the only problem is that I believe you need a tool to take the diaphram out.... I like the apeks for simplicity and they have a good track record from what I hear.... I think ill stick with my atomic as a single tank reg and get a few apeks 50s for the doubles.... Maybe get another atomic as pony/stage reg....

If you go Apeks 50 get the DS4 firsts for your doubles. The hose routing is so clean!

Jason

Stryker:
Unfortunately the area I live in currently has no caves, and I know of no cave-divers....Hence why I asked on here... :wink:

There are caves at Catalina, and on some of the other Channel Islands. Nothing like Florida or the Yucatan, but caves none the less. It is important to know which ones are Sea Lion rookeries to avoid getting bit. And, of course, have adequate cave training.

DA Aquamaster:
But regarding regs with easily removeable covers, the Scubapro R190, R380/390 and G250 are ideal with simple one piece cover designs that tend to be easy to unscrew by hand. The G500, G550, and S600 have removeable covers as well but they are 2 piece affairs with more parts to lose. The X650 has a removeable cover but there are 3 pieces involved. The older D300/D350 and D400 also have removeable covers but there are again 3 pieces involved and the dipahragm has to be properly indexed on the second stage case, so it is a bit more complex to work on in the water.

i thought the R190 was more a recreational reg, not for more extreme stuff? Was i wrong?

Stryker:
but I was looking at a pair of apeks ATX 200 for my doubles setup... so you think the ATX50s are just as good?

The ATX (50, 100, 200 etc.) second stages are all the same (apart from the purely cosmetic covers). Many Apeks first stages are also pretty much identical internally—the big difference is the HP/LP port placement, which affect hose routing.

KidK9:
I did alot of researcch on this about 2 months ago. I talked with Reggie Ross, one of the lead instructos at Ginnie Springs, and I went with two Apeks TX50 (which are the same as the 200s), with DS4 first stage. My other consideration per his instructions were the DiveRite 2500. Apeks makes a great reg for caves and wrecks. Call to your instructor, it will save you some time I think.

Love the Apeks too, soon-to-be underwaer vet!

(from an underwater shrink :wink: -Peri)

Stryker:
Unfortunately the area I live in currently has no caves, and I know of no cave-divers....Hence why I asked on here... :wink:

Seth,
There are a few of us up in Redondo Beach that are into cave diving. We all use DiveRite regs. They are easy to service and the parts are readily available. I had an "issue" with one of my Atomic regs the last time I was in Mexico and found out the hard way that they are next to impossible to service in the field.

Bruce

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom