Cavern Class with Capt. Jim Wyatt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mselenaous

Island girl
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Key Largo, FL... Dive Capital of the World
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Learning to Cavern Dive with Capt. Jim Wyatt

I don't get to spend much time in cave country, so when it was time for the annual Spring Megadive, I contacted a couple of respected instructors. Jim Wyatt not only was ready willing and able but offered SBers attending Megadive a class special. Although several folks were interested, I had Jim all to myself. And I have to say bless his patient sole. I may have a lot of dives and yes I do dive often, but not in tech configurations, nor in cold waters (not since I moved from So Cal), nor the fresh water springs of No FL. (Funny this is where I got originally OW certified in 1983). Needless to say I was a bit apprehensive about so much gear and the task loading involved in this training. But I also knew that I would gain invaluable new skills and hone other skills critical to diving in any environment. I also needed to push myself and deal with some of my claustrophobia issues.

I received my books well in advance of class, but as life, work & travel got in the way, I ended up doing most of the academics on the long ride up to cave country. The morning of class, I went to Jim's house where we opened truck tailgates and work on gear configurations. We then proceeded inside to his Florida room/classroom for paperwork and spent the rest of the morning & sometime after lunch going through his presentation and the academics. He very clearly explained what was expected and why each was crucial to being a competent cave diver. Although fatalities were discussed, he was emphatic about not trying to scare me but to educate me. The reality is this is scary stuff and if you are too broke to pay attention you will pay with your life.

For lunch we went to GTO (apparently the only edible eatery in Ft. White), where Mark Bryan, another local cave/sidemount instructor, joined us. After lunch, Jim and I reviewed the written test he had emailed me in advance. We spent the rest of the afternoon in his front yard where he has laid out line courses for students. He was thorough and patient in each explanation providing me with good insight into why each procedure should be done in the prescribed manor. It so much easier to do it right when you understand why something isn't right. End of a long day. We planned to meet at Ginnie Springs early the next day.

Saturday we met early and hit the water as fast as possible (without rushing). We saw a busload of 44 OW students with 3 instructors & DMs pulling in. In the open water, Jim laid out a course which I inspected, then followed with no mask, eyes closed. We then entered the cavern where I watched Jim place line and I followed them out sans masks and lights. Jim surprised me with OOA drills but this was a piece of cake for me and he knew it. The exit drill was repeated on shared air. It was time to reel in the lines on our way out and sure enough as predicted the Silt Hogs Squad descended stirring up everything. Those certified divers in their entourage entangled their fins in our lines and with poor buoyancy control someone actually sat down on me, red tank and all, as I was completing the last of my reel retrieval. :shakehead: We got out quickly after that. Overhead environment of a cavern is not nearly as dangerous as an overhead of 80+fins kicking cluelessly.

We decided to get out and drove over to Turkey Roost, rested, ate, and chatted with SBers. After about an hour we gear-up again and walked over to the Eye. The run was full of swimmers, tubers, and some very rude canoers who threatened to run over us as we did our pre-dive safety check and final dive plan while standing chest deep on the diver's steps. After a quick bubble check we descended to get away and under all of the chaos. We entered the cavern after passing another instructor with two students near the entrance. As we pulled ourselves through the flow, I followed Jim's line but the space started to feel smaller and darker. I turned to realize we were now at the edge of the light zone and I was ready to exit. I signaled to Jim and followed the line out. I was so focused on the line, I got stuck when I failed to realize there was a large space just an arms length to my right. Perceptual narrowing happens when you have stopped having fun and are focused on the exit. On the surface I told Jim I got creeped out and he said that was good that I didn't freak out. I knew my limits. I had completed all the requirements and I was tired after a long day.

In hind sight I think I was more uncomfortable with the crowds, and not spending enough relaxed time just being neutrally buoyant or getting really comfortable with all the gear, hoses, clips, etc. than the actual overhead environment. I am harder on myself than anyone else. Jim was amazingly thorough and patient. And I need time to ingest all of the insights Jim shared with me as well as dive time to practice new skills, fine tune others, and develop the muscle memory that makes those skills go smoothly.

:thumb: I recommend this course to anyone who has plenty of dive time under their belts and is ready for a new challenge. The skills and information acquired in a cavern class apply to all diving environments whether you choose to do the class in OW gear or tech gear, with or without cave certification as a future goal. I also recommend scheduling to take this class on weekdays and possibly dividing the dives out over two day if you tend to get fatigued. Dive sites are sometimes & unpredictably very crowded on weekends such as this past one at Ginnie Springs.

:thumb: I highly recommend Jim as an instructor. Feel free to connect with him here on Scubaboard. ScubaBoard - View Profile: Capt Jim Wyatt

Thanks Jim!

Congrats, Elena, on your cavern certification. Sounds like you had a great class. I am so proud of you, girlie! :hugs:

sam, from that avatar pic it looks like *you're* the one dating netdoc!

sounds like fun, elena!!

Jim was pretty stern with those canoeing yahooligans and told them if they did try to run over us, they would not like the outcome.

Congrats, I am taking my Cavern next weekend with Greg Stanton. I am kind of glad I was not in your class. I don't take threats very well. People like that send me over the edge.

Huh??

Congrats Elena!!!! Great write up and lol at the dancing hippo bit :rofl3: Cave instructors seem to come with an extra dose of patience :wink:

Most likely speaking about the canoers that threatened to run over them, Mat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom