Cayman Brac water temps in August?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DancinDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
[I foolishly posted this originally in the Greater Antilles forum. D'oh. I've now reposted it here, where it belongs.]

My husband and I are headed to Cayman Brac Beach Resort on 5 August, so it's time to choose which wetsuit to take. What are the current water temperatures in the Caymans? Has anyone been there just recently and have something to report? What's typical for right now? I see reports of Summer water temps up to 85F (wonderfully warm). Is it really that warm right now?

Thanks for your help. We can't wait to be there.

Last year I took a 5mm for some reason at that time of year. I ended up not using it after a couple of days. After that I just used shorts and a shirt.

I wish I had taken A 3mm. If you are sensitive to the cold, you could take a 5mm hood.

I'm not on the Brac, I'm in Grand Cayman, but it was 86 yesterday.

It depends on the currents, how deep you go and other stuff. I am going there today. In the past, it has been 80 - 84. In still, shallow water, it can get warmer. I dove a 3 mm in the mornings and in the afternoon, a rash guard. I have seen people dive in 3 mm to just a bathing suit. If it rains hard, the last few feet can be cool. At depth, like 90', you might get below 80.

I'm on the Brac right now, the last two days of diving the water has been around 87 degrees. Some people are wearing 3 mm and some are just diving in swimsuits or rash guards. We were here the same week last year, and this year the water is definitely warmer.

Wow, thank you all for so much information. This is all very helpful -- and that's warm water! I do tend to be cold though, so I guess I'll take a 3 mm and a 1.5 mm full.

Thanks again.

I'm on the Brac right now, the last two days of diving the water has been around 87 degrees. ....

Do you have a favorite dive from this trip? Anything particularly special this time? It'll be our first time there.

I just got back from Grand Cayman, water temps probably averaged 84-85. I was fine in my 3mm, most people on the boat were wearing less.

Hi DancinDiver, The Tibbetts wreck is always a great dive. Also, Angel fish reef and Knuckles are favorites of mine. Last couple of days I've seen a good number of turtles, including a couple of juveniles.

Back
Top Bottom