CCV - Malaria meds?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I lived on the mainland of Honduras I contracted malaria. I've had two relapses in the intervening years, none while visiting the Bay Islands. Believe me when I say that it is not a disease you want to contract; nevertheless IMO, a repellant containing DEET is sufficient to protect the average tourist from malaria while on the islands. Mosquitos are most active at sunset/evening and in the pre-dawn hours. The islands generally have a constant sea breeze that keeps mosquito populations down, at least along the coast. If you plan to hike through the mountains, or visit swampy areas, then yes add a malaria pill to your regimen. If you will only be diving and visiting towns along the coast, then a repellant should be enough protection.

The islands generally have a constant sea breeze that keeps mosquito populations down, at least along the coast. .

I think you may mean "at least along the "South Coast.. Often there is little to no sea breeze along the more popular tourist areas on the north coast

I think you may mean "at least along the "South Coast.. Often there is little to no sea breeze along the more popular tourist areas on the north coast

True, but OP stated that he was diving at CCV, which is on the south coast.

True, but OP stated that he was diving at CCV, which is on the south coast.
But others looking for information may believe that the.
islands generally have a constant sea breeze that keeps mosquito populations down.
which is not the case

Back
Top Bottom