CCV vs AKR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Roatan SBers,

I am trying to put together a dive trip to Roatan...just when not sure (most likely next winter) or where to stay. Last May I spent a week at AKR and had a blast there. For the others this will be their first time in Honduras. The divers are mostly new divers; 2-3 divers are AOW and OW, but not with more than 25 dives and my daughter is a DM. Also my GF is a snorkeler so I would dive in the morning with the divers and snorkel with her in the afternoon.

I am considering whether to go to CoCo View Resort or Anthony's Key Resort. While I have been to AKR, on SB I have read many good things about CCV too.

I know on our off-gas day we are planning on the AKR Dolphin Snorkel experience as it is awesome and was one of the highlights of my last trip there. Usually AKR is the higher priced resort, but right now I can get a special for about $400 less person at AKR than at CCV's advertised price. But I have not really looked at CCV for specials yet.

Has anyone been to both resorts and have an opinion one way or another? If so what do you like better at one place over another...boat trips, shore diving, accommodations, facilities, meals, snorkeling, etc.?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated…

Thanks,

~Oldbear~

I've been to both AKR and CCV, they are apples and oranges, CCV being "scuba camp" - you are there to dive, dive, dive. That said, they have an evening meal option at one of the better restaurants (in French Harbour if I recall correctly) and the off-gas day's activity which can be a trip to West End, or the AKR dolphin excursion that you mentioned. But the rest of the time, you and your party will be able to shore and boat dive about as much as you can desire. AKR has been to me more of a place where non-divers or those who don't want to just dive can go and have a relaxing good time. There are more activities away from the water, and the resort's proximity to West End or Coxen's Hole allow for escapes if you are so inclined. You should discuss with your group what kind of vacation they are looking for. If it's 95% scuba diving, I think you'll be happier at CCV, if it's 65% diving, AKR.

I have been to CoCo View. It is a very good operation. But as USdiver1 said, it is about dive, dive, dive, and that is if you are not really doing "much" diving. The daily routine is breakfast, take your gear from your locker to your boat. Do the boat dive, surface interval. Come back to CoCoView and most people jump off the boat and do a dive and come back at the CoCoView shore entry/exit. Then you go to lunch. You go back to the boat, boat dive, surface interval, boat dive - shore exit. Rinse and stow your gear. Shower off. You can go out of another late afternoon shore dive. Eat dinner. Go for a night dive (shore dive). In the next morning, you can even do a shore dive before breakfast. Many people do four dives per day. Some people do 5 or 6. If everyone in your group is hard wired to dive as much as possible, it is a good place to go. It is sometimes called "a liveaboard on land". From the literature I have seen, AKR looks a bit more upscale than CoCoView. Also, AKR seems to have more options for none divers. Now, if you really like to dive and dive quite a bit, CoCoView is a great place to go. The amenities are not high end but the staff is superb. Also, if you are doing that much diving, who cares about high end stuff? I like the more relaxed vibe.

CCV will also offer a "bus" to AKR for the Dolphin Snorkel and the Shark Dive. If they get enough people participating in the Shark Dive, they will bring you over in a CCV boat. Trust me, you want a CCV boat rather than what Cara a Cara has. You would think with the with the amount of people doing the shark dive, they could afford a bigger boat. I would also recommend not doing the regular Thursday night at Gio's, and do Cal's Cantina instead. If you want a lot of okay seafood (crab, lobster & shrimp) do Gio's (it is a tourist restaurant). If you want a better meal, it is Cal's (where the local ex-pats eat). He used to be the head chef at "The View" and his food is excellent.

There is no real night life at CCV. However, the Friday night show is great!! Brion James is a Jimmi Hendrix-like guitar player, and plays 60's and 70's rock. Great for the age group that usually frequents CCV.

Like the other poster's have said, CCV is all about diving. If you live to dive, it is CCV. If you love to dive, do CCV.

Can I assume that if CCV transport people to AKR that they do not offer their own shark dive? One of our divers is really Gung-Ho on doing a shark dive.

Can I assume that if CCV transport people to AKR that they do not offer their own shark dive? One of our divers is really Gung-Ho on doing a shark dive.
I know CCV offered a shark dive in 2010, and they still advertise one on their site. Roatan Shark Diving | CoCo View Resort
There was enough of our group that wanted to go that CCV offered their boat to taxi is there. Instead of transferring to the shark dive op's boat we stayed on CCV's the entire trip.

Other than that you can order off a menu with a waiter (the operative word there is "wait") and be served on linens, I really don't know what makes AKR's dining experience any more upscale than the food at CCV. So, I do realize, waitstaff and linens do give it a nice panache. It gives your vacay a little more of an up-scale feeling. The food is pretty much so equal, if you step back and analyze. At CCV, you're in, out, or can linger for an hour and a half, going back to the buffet and going face down in the shrimp, lobster, steak, lasagna, chicken, whatever. At AKR, your meals are 86 steps up the side of the hill (a bit of consideration for us old geezers and former skiers). It's a nice tree-house setting though, a feeling of being up in the branches. CCV's dining area feels like a comfy Robinson Crusoe beach house. Diners at AKR could get gussied up and not stand out very much, at CCV I have seen those who "dress for dinner", but they do tend to stand out. You really don't have to leave AKR to "eat out" to placate a non-diving spouse that wants a little perception of "fancy".

What has gone unsaid is that the difference between the localized diving is quite distinct. Think about geography and the compass.

The North/West (AKR) underwater architecture is shaped by eons of storms that hit that shore. The walls are 1/2 mile offshore, some have interesting shapes and chutes. The placed wrecks, although deep (100' range), have already been torn up by weather. It is also in shadows most of the day. Due to the Marina Reserva, you will likely see some larger versions of the fish that were once common everywhere in the Caribbean. The shore dive is marginal. The muck dive in the inner lagoon and under the dive dock is out of this world good, but that isn't for the feignt of heart. You really should be diving nitrox.

The South Shore (CCV) presents an environment that is unique in the Caribbean, and CCV is right in the middle of this unusual 5 mile zone. The reef is close to shore (100-200'), it tops out in 5-20', breaking straight down and vertical to a 90' sand shelf. It is bathed in Sunlight most all day long, is very lush with soft and hard corals. The key to this area is not your certification level, but instead it is your ability to use buoyancy to hover, get in close, and have a look at the myriad critters which make this a nursery. Lots of little colorful stuff, hiding in plain sight. An easy shore dive 24/7, with an intact 140' ship lying in 45fsw with it's anchor chain leading back to your room. I dive all week on air.

Either can give you the AKR Dolphin deal, either will get you to the Shark Dive. AKR is much closer to the diversions of the bars and restaurants of the West End. CCV brings in locally handmade craftsmen daily and in general doesn't generate the desire to leave to be elsewhere. At AKR you are (in most rooms) located out on a separate "Key" which necessitates a boat ride back and forth to your room form the dive center and restaurant. At CCV, the whole place is on its own private island, so you can leave your fancy camera or dive computer sitting in the darndest places, and it will always be there when you return. Room keys are provided at CCV, very few use them after day one. AKR is closer to other island diversions, but you're going to need a cab from either one.

AKR makes maybe 95% of their revenue from cruise ship divers and the Dolphins, the week-long divers are not at all neglected, and they do try to keep things separated. At CCV, you will only see 60 maximum other divers in any given week. CCV is so heavily booked that they don't really offer specials or discounts to the same extent, but it might pay to ask and compare if cost is the deciding factor.

Both resorts have great track records and loyal guests. Very, very few people have been to both. I have been diving with and eaten meals at AKR, I like it a lot and understand what it offers and how that might appeal. We always stay at CCV, it hits our needs on the head... dive, dive, dive... I've seen enough 24" Barracudas and Parrotfish, but even now I still need my 27+ logged dives in a week with all the macro critters.

A peculiar thing: AKR can host 2x the weekly guests over CCV, but here at SCUBABoard, it seems like the posters are mostly "Coconuts". Very few posters write about AKR. I really have no precise reason why that may be~ except that it seemed that people I met at AKR were serious enough divers, but they usually used phrases such as, "We're on vacation", where the CCV types usually said things like, "We're diving". Conversations at dinner followed much the same paths, two fairly distinct groups.

Last edited:
Great review guys...thanks a bunch. I now have something to take back to the group. :)

---------- Post added March 15th, 2013 at 03:30 PM ----------

I know that AKR is an all-inclusive when it comes to meal plans; but I have read what I think are different meal plans at CCV. What is their dining like? Is it all-inclusive like AKR, is it only breakfast, is it a resturant style, is it off-site meals only, or is it something of a mix?

Thanks SBers...you have been so helpful. :)

~Me~

Last edited:
I am at CCV this week...sadly heading home today :-(

The CCV "plan" is an all-inclusive buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner....with American-style fare. Breakfast is typically, waffles, pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon or ham, fruit, toast/bagels/muffins, juice, water.

Lunch varies, but is usually a salad option, rice/beans always available plus an entree. Usually some home made cookies for dessert.

Special diet restrictions are no problem - my daughter is a vegetarian and they cooked her special meals if a vegetarian option was not part of the main offerings.

Dinner typically has 2 main entree choices, 1-2 side dishes, a full salad bar, bread, dessert. Again, rice/beans always available.

Water and lemonade/punch is available (with ice machine) 24/7 in the dining hall. The CCV bar is in the same room...so during lunch/dinner you can order soft drinks or alcohol if you prefer ($).

You can sit inside and outside. No assigned tables...and as the week goes on, people seem to start mingling sitting arrangements during meals, particularly with the folks on the dive boat you are on (most guests are assigned to a specific dive boat for the week....makes it easier to get to know folks).

Great to hear about the CCR Vegetarian options...

While typically I am not a vegetarian, for the last two months I have been on a no-fat/no oil/no-meat/no dairy diet (vegetarian). In about two months I have lost 40 lbs. and have another 30 to go before I hit my overall goal and then start a maintenance program.

Reactions: Doc
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom