CE Requirement in Europe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CE markings are mandatory in EU and EFTA countries, which make up the EEA. All countries in Europe, bar some counties in Balkan, are part of the EEA.
The UK isn't part of EFTA (Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, +1 city state)

The UK left the EEA on 31st December 2020.

Edit...
The UK's still accepting the CE markings. For some reason the UK's also talking about "UKCA" approval. Bluntly there's so much political bollocks resulting from brexit around this, it'll take a while to resolve.

As long as the CE and UKCA standards are identical, no problems. It's only if/when the standards diverge on certain goods that things get interesting. It's a fair bet that CE marking will be accepted for some time yet.

My question is: in what European countries is it a non-issue to show up as a tourist to a dive boat or other dive outfit with a non CE unit, and in what countries are you going to be booted off the boat.

I'm looking to hear from any personal experiences people have had. I have read a lot of comments in this forum that mention France being especially strict on CE compliance.
Welcome to Finland. The Baltic sea, being brackish water, has conserved some really old wooden wrecks exceptionally well.
We do not have a vast dive trip industry here, if any, really. If you want to do some good dives, you MUST contact local divers for instructions.

Your equipment is not CE approved? But you own and operate it?
Your life, your death, nobody asks for CE approvals.
Just present your dive card and pay for the cost.

Not sure that anyone cares about using a non-CE certified unit except for when "at work"; thus teaching is a challenge.
"at work"
- if employed

I can confirm it'll be extremely difficult to dive a non CE rig in France.
Does this also apply to plongée souterraine? No?

A bit like those M26 DIN connectors for rich nitrox gasses.
Let the wrath of God be upon those.

Finland, the most obedient nation of them all, refuses to obey.
No, not the country. The nation.
It's a sign.

ps. that standard would have been just about tolerable for partial pressure fills, e.g. O2 or EAN50, but for EAN 22 - EAN 40 (typically done as constant flow mixing before the compressor) it is plain ridiculous. Whoever coined that standard, was clearly not qualified to do so. It is a statement of non-understanding. Hence, we will not obey. I thus callenge the authorities with a reality check.

South of France and parts of Italy are very strict about it, usually the owner is a instructor on some CE certified reb so thats why. Croatia, Spain, Greece don't really care, as far as i know at least.
And on a personal note, i hope the guy who came up with m26 stubs his toe every single day for the rest of his life.

"at work"
- if employed
More "am paid to work". Different from "employed". Good example is a dive instructor; if you pay them then they're "at work". If you don't pay them, e.g. a club instructor like BSAC, then they're not "at work".

South of France and parts of Italy are very strict about it, usually the owner is a instructor on some CE certified reb so thats why. Croatia, Spain, Greece don't really care, as far as i know at least.
And on a personal note, i hope the guy who came up with m26 stubs his toe every single day for the rest of his life.
Must buy an M25 to M26 adapter if going to "Europe", or France at least.

The EU decided it was better for you all.
Not really, it has more to do with Aqualung/Air Liquide (at that time) lobbying for it. To the best of my knowledge, we're the only ones in Europe so fixed on this contraption. Never seen German, nor an Italian diver using it.

The M26 was nothing to do with safety. It was all to do with vested interests, or if you are anti EU, corruption.

The reason it is so roundly ignored in many countries is because it makes no sense, it is only there to benefit a few manufacturers, it stinks of hypocrisy.

That doesn't answer the OP question.
I think you need to look at it country by country.

As has been already said, in the UK, as a user, it's a non issue.

Twice.
An utterly stupid standard. Good intentions, terrible results.

Back
Top Bottom