cell phone coverage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haha RTB. What if I would have said something actually controversial? You might have had a stroke. You still might. I do need to point out that I did clarify that it is in the USA and I am correct that it is an American phone but that is all besides the point. The point is that we are all dumber for having read your post. Try to at least stay on topic.

Nic, Just to clarify, You said you had an American phone in the US, I actually have 5 American phones, 3 with Honduran service and two with service in the USA, What point are you making? Did you mean you use a carrier from the USA? Why so upset that you confuse being American in your opinion means your from the USA? Might be better off in the USA if there was an official language and there was no need to push one or two
Hard to believe you could be any dumber from reading my post but if thats the case I appologize and hope you do not run into trouble with the local zooplankton on your next trip. I find it hard to believe the arrogance of some that feel English is the universal language and ignore countries that actually have an official language. Good thing is, all those releases you sign that are written in english are not valid in Honduras BUT you will need a Honduran attorney on your side should you ever need one.

Just to clarify, I am an American, I have an American phone and I speak the oficial language of America. That language is American!

Just to clarify, I am an American, I have an American phone and I speak the oficial language of America. That language is American!

Just to clarify, Hondurans are American, Nicaraguans are American etc.. and the official langage is Spanish, People in the USA have NO Official Language. There is NO Official language of the Americas yet most American countries do have an official language and that is Spanish. Of course there is that little issue with Quebec wantin it to be French. So many seem to forget that all those in Central and South America are also considered Americans yet I can understand your lack of knowledge in this subject due to the fact you yourself mentioned a previous post made you dumber than you already were.

Totally agree. RTB often has great comments but just seems to lack a bit nicety. I do that myself however so I suppose I shouldn't say too much.

Chuck,
We have often not seen eye to eye but I never recall you or I suggesting we were working with the chamber of commerce, or Minister of tourism. If I give false info then someone can call me out, If that same someone just doesn't like what I said, then who cares as long as it is real? All contracts, legal papers, vehicle titles, land titles and legal documents are spanish and he wants a push one for English? Seems comapmies could be liable for nisrepresentation if their translation was not completely accurate, its not like anyone can argue those in the USA are not more prone to sue or seek other legal action than the rest of the world for even minor issues.

I hadn't intended to start a language debate. All I said was that I wished I could get a set of English instructions for the cell phone that we bought in Roatan. I had hoped that an internet search of the manufacturer and model number would lead me to an English download, but to no avail.

mcgosler, that was my whole point but I really don't think it much matters what the original question was. rtb obviously has his pet argument . I'm really not sure right now who he is arguing with. I guess it is with the usa and the people who put 1's and 2's on phones so we could press them for english and spanish and people who translate contracts and the people who made English the official language of America or something. Holy crazy talk batman. To my knowledge I don't know any of those people but if I find them I will turn them over to rtb and he can give them a stern lecture.

They probably figure since spanish is the official language then thats all they need and people should learn their language

English is the official language in the US for the most part. (although not passed as Federal law, but state law in 28 states). , but most phone systems say

"For English press 1, Para Espanol, Oprima Numero Dos"

You'd figure if they want the US Dollar as roaming charges, they'd make their menu's easier to use so people could navigate them. But you're right, it's their country....

I purchased my verizon storm because it works well internationally. In Roatan it works great till I get to cocoview- no service lol. I got it just so I could use it on dive trips and one of my favorite places has no service. Pretty funny. Now in Coz it works just fine. I think I'll buy a satellite phone. At least I get internet there.

I purchased my verizon storm because it works well internationally. In Roatan it works great till I get to cocoview- no service lol. I got it just so I could use it on dive trips and one of my favorite places has no service. Pretty funny. Now in Coz it works just fine. I think I'll buy a satellite phone. At least I get internet there.

If you get internet there, just buy a cheap VOIP package. and use it to call back.

I'm in Roatan right now and my verizon cell phone does not have any service / coverage at all. I checked with Verizon before I left and was told I would not have coverage because of the type of phone I had. It's a 2 year old Samsung Gleam - standard phone (not a smart phone).

My solution - MagicJack. Yeah..... you have to have a laptop and a decent high speed wireless connection but it works great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom