cell phone usage in Cozumel....wow!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I gotta say I was really dreading getting our cell phone bill when we got back here to US. We had to use our cell while in Coz to call the rental car place in PDC to let them know we were going to be on a later ferry one day. It was only a 2 minute call but I was sure we would get hit with some HUGE fees. Well......... wrong! Got the cell phone bill the other day, only $2 extra! Yes, Verizon only charged us $1 per minute roaming charge. How cool is that??? :D:D:D

Good to know. I wonder what AT&T will charge? $1/min not bad...

yes- Cozumel is cell phone friendly. We have ATT - our plan includes International calling and I think our calls were $.99/min. I don't think we had roaming charges- anyway it was just a few dollars and we used it several times to check in at home.
Better than having to go to a calling center.
Jean

So any ideas on text msg's I will be going down with the boy in July, and the wife will be traveling to Oregon for school. Want to keep in touch with her vis txt...cause thats how we roll.

John

So any ideas on text msg's I will be going down with the boy in July, and the wife will be traveling to Oregon for school. Want to keep in touch with her vis txt...cause thats how we roll.

John

Check your carriers website. Most of the rates for roaming and calls while in other countries as well as text message rates should be on there. If not, call their customer service line.

$1/minute Mexico roaming has been standard for some time with Alltel and before it - Western Wireless's CellONE.

I always take my phone off of the Alltel family plan I share with my daughter, soninlaw and grandson and put it on the $45/450 minute North America plan in case I want to use it. Includes 1000 N&WE/9 pm and unlimited MM. I never plan to use it much but have at times. When I needed to escape H.Dean, the Mexican numbers were overwhelmed, off at night, etc - but I just call Continental's Houston number. I lower their family plan by $20, then pay the $45, so my net cost of this is $25 plus taxes, then I put it back on the larger family plan on return. If your planned trip will fall on a billing date, have the billing date changed.

Hope they keep this with the Verizon merger, but there's always Skype which did not charge me anything for calling home. :eyebrow:

John
Varies with companies. Alltel told me that there would be no extra charge for texting while there, but I never could get it to go thru. I could have filed a trouble ticket, but didn't bother.

Any Alltel customers ever use SMS and MM there...?

If you have computer access (with speaker & microphone for VoIP) -- also instant messages -- I recommend using Skype. Free computer to computer. 2+ cents a minute computer to telephone. Works great here.

we took our small laptop with us, to download photos daily and review........ plus to e-mail home. Worked great as SCC has free internet. So we could chat with the kid at home and check out e-mail for free each day, no need to call home.

The cell phone call was just an unexpected issue, just glad it didn't cost us too much. :D

If you can get internet wherever you go you can use skype.. Really cheap I want to say 17 cents a minute and it goes anywhere. I will tell you though, if you have a crappy internet hook up there is a huge delay. I think I spent $8 and called numerous times from Curacao to the US...

Last jan-feb my wife had to call home as dad was sick. i did not think that we had called that much, almost 600$can in long distance. Telus does not have a good plan down there. It's even worse as I had my blackberry set to internet and i did not realize how much it was as I am on a plan here. It does not go into affect in Mexico. The kids inheritence is gone now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom