Cenote Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nicklebon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My family and I are going to Cozumel for 8 days in July. My son and I will be diving. My wife does not / will not dive. This will be our first trip to Mexico. Most of time will be spent on Coz but, I would like to take a day and dive a cenote. What would be ideal would be to find one that could be floated and dove ending up in the same place allowing my wife to participate in the activity. Do any of these exist and if so are they worth doing?

Thanks

My family and I are going to Cozumel for 8 days in July. My son and I will be diving. My wife does not / will not dive. This will be our first trip to Mexico. Most of time will be spent on Coz but, I would like to take a day and dive a cenote. What would be ideal would be to find one that could be floated and dove ending up in the same place allowing my wife to participate in the activity. Do any of these exist and if so are they worth doing?

Thanks
There are several cenotes that feature cavern diving and also offer above water swimming and other activities. Some even have an "almost" cavern diving experience, in that you can snorkel through stalactites in the few feet of air between the top of the water and the ceiling.

One of the best cenotes for floating (face down with a snorkel, of course!) and an easy cavern dive - with a guide, is Ponderosa, or Eden. It has lots of shallow areas full of fishes (sailfin mollies and cichlids) as well as slightly deeper areas to explore on scuba. It also has good facilities for picnicking, sun-bathing and jumping off the rim of the cenote into gin-clear water. Love the place. To be clear, you'll need a guide to get in if you're going to be diving.

One of the best cenotes for floating (face down with a snorkel, of course!) and an easy cavern dive - with a guide, is Ponderosa, or Eden. It has lots of shallow areas full of fishes (sailfin mollies and cichlids) as well as slightly deeper areas to explore on scuba. It also has good facilities for picnicking, sun-bathing and jumping off the rim of the cenote into gin-clear water. Love the place. To be clear, you'll need a guide to get in if you're going to be diving.
I second this. Ponderosa is big and family oriented.
It was also my first cave. You never forget your first :)

I second this. Ponderosa is big and family oriented.
It was also my first cave. You never forget your first :)

Let me take advantage of your post and ask you this…I am planning to dive Ponderosa in August. Is it open for most of the dive? I am slightly claustrophobic.

thanks

Let me take advantage of your post and ask you this…I am planning to dive Ponderosa in August. Is it open for most of the dive? I am slightly claustrophobic.

thanks
The OW area is divable but I wouldn't say its great for for that. As I recall, the deeper area was small and narrow about 40' deep. It would still be a fun place to dive around but you would want to stay away from the shallower swimming area (too many feet flailing about) and the High jumpoff platform.
The cavern entrance area is pretty big. If you're just slightly claustrophobic I think you will be ok. You will need a guide to dive in there. Be sure to discuss you reservations during the dive brief.
Here's a pic I took. The rock overhang people are standing on is above the cavern/cave entrances. The pic is missing the larger part of the cenote to the left.
upload_2021-5-13_16-0-16.png

I would contact cenote experience. They took three of us scuba diving at dos ojos and the other seven snorkeling. They are very good guys to deal with.
Nico at CenoteXperience is my cave diving instructor. Super guys.

I just realized that you said on Cozumel Is. These cenotes are on the mainland near Playa and Akumal. When I hear cenote I just automatically zone into Akumal area...sorry if its not really any help.
I'm not confident that Coz has any cenotes that have guided cavern diving.
Perhaps somebody else will advise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom