Cenote Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me take advantage of your post and ask you this…I am planning to dive Ponderosa in August. Is it open for most of the dive? I am slightly claustrophobic.

thanks
The passage from Ponderosa to Eden is technically cavern and large enough to fly a 737 through. Perhaps you could suggest your guide start with that cavern line. If its still uncomfortable then you can just snorkel in the basin instead of going on any other lines.

I just realized that you said on Cozumel Is. These cenotes are on the mainland near Playa and Akumal. When I hear cenote I just automatically zone into Akumal area...sorry if its not really any help.
I'm not confident that Coz has any cenotes that have guided cavern diving.
Perhaps somebody else will advise.
Just take the ferry over--lots of people do it.

I just asked Nico from CenoteXperience and he says "as far as I know, only cave diving goes on in Cozumel, in 1 or 2 caves maximum"

I just asked Nico from CenoteXperience and he says "as far as I know, only cave diving goes on in Cozumel, in 1 or 2 caves maximum"
Even if there is a cenote in Cozumel (and I don't know of one, either), you want to go to the mainland for an experience like that. I haven't done that sort of thing for a long time, but when I did, I took the morning ferry over and the mainland dive shop would have a ride waiting for me there.

Even if there is a cenote in Cozumel (and I don't know of one, either), you want to go to the mainland for an experience like that. I haven't done that sort of thing for a long time, but when I did, I took the morning ferry over and the mainland dive shop would have a ride waiting for me there.

There is at least one, but the cavern zone seems small and not worth diving.

There is a cenote just off the road to the old Caleta Harbor (which itself was formed by the collapse of a larger cavern) the fresh water flows from it into the Caleta. It is part a full on cave system that supposedly connects to the Chankanb system, a friend of mine told he made it about half way many years ago and almost died coming back out.
There is normally a large crocodile in recidence (it sometimes migrates in the Caleta and Fonatur marina) and while sometimes I see kids swimming in it, they are much tougher than I.
Cave divers sometimes dive it and supposedly once in the water the crocodile ignores them, according to another DM friend who wanted me to dive it with him, to tough for me:D

There is a cenote just off the road to the old Caleta Harbor (which itself was formed by the collapse of a larger cavern) the fresh water flows from it into the Caleta.

Based on the aerial view I think that might be the system in the Blueworld video.

My family and I are going to Cozumel for 8 days in July. My son and I will be diving. My wife does not / will not dive. This will be our first trip to Mexico. Most of time will be spent on Coz but, I would like to take a day and dive a cenote. What would be ideal would be to find one that could be floated and dove ending up in the same place allowing my wife to participate in the activity. Do any of these exist and if so are they worth doing?

Thanks
There are cavern guides who will pick you and your family at the Playa docks and take you to a popular cenotes. Most operators work on a minimum of 200 US dollars a day. So if you have 3 family members, one car should do the trick. Equipment hire could be a little extra.

The passage from Ponderosa to Eden is technically cavern and large enough to fly a 737 through. Perhaps you could suggest your guide start with that cavern line. If its still uncomfortable then you can just snorkel in the basin instead of going on any other lines.

I guess my question is really this…while diving Ponderosa and one needed to surface, is there an air space between the cavern roof and the water surface?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom