Censorship and SB..how far are we going to take this???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, so I just got back from the Florida Dive Show and I ran into a fellow scubaboarder..it was quite funny how we ran into each other, but I'll get to the point.

We discussed diving and then ofcourse this board got brought up. I was asked why I don't post as much anymore and I gave some various reasons, but as the conversation went along this person told me about how strict it has gotten around here. (examples were given) Which I noticed a long time ago, but it got me to thinking...

How far are we going to take this 'censorship' if you will. I realize 'free speech' does not apply to this board, but really..what is the target audience here at SB?

Is SB really trying to be soo politically correct that is caters to 8yr olds? Yes, the dive industry has a wide age range...however, the majority of users on SB and in the dive industry in general are all over 18yrs old.

So what about the 10 - 17yr old market which SB seems to cater too soo much?? I say that because what is allowed to be posted on here sometimes reflects that...
Is SB trying to shield the younger divers from adult conversations, humor, and language? If so, I ask WHY??? I need to know what plastic bubble the powers that be are living in and who set the O2 level to 12%.

Few points to make about this:

1) It is the parent(s) responsibility to monitor their childrens internet usage.

2) Any teenager who understands a sexual innuendo or other 'adult' references/language made within a post is probably going to appreciate it more than even I would. And that is saying alot. Do you really think that teenagers use the web only for homework? SB is not shielding them from the woes of the internet.

3) This board does not reflect the dive industry when it comes to moderation.
a) I was told of some thread about Hot Chick of the Week...or something like that...every Friday. Maybe somebody knows what I'm talking about..I never saw it. I guess it got pulled/stopped because women were in bikinis. So if I'm on a dive boat in Florida and some girl is in a bikini getting into her wetsuit does this mean it should be a over 18 boat trip? If it is offensive to women then start a Hot Guy of the Week thread and make it every Thursday...you can even include banana hammocks. Or better yet, just don't visit that thread. You can turn on the TV, drive down the street, flip through a magazine and see barely clothed people. Hmm, I think an advertiser on this board even shows people in bathing suits.

b) Any teenage diver who has ever stepped fin on a dive boat with adults has heard language/innuendos much worse than I would ever expect to be allowed on here. The point is...if they understand the innuendo then they are old enough to hear it. If they don't understand it...then they don't understand. No harm no foul. And don't even try to tell me that a teenager has not heard or used a cuss word before getting on a dive boat. While your at it, raise that O2 level up to maybe 17% now in that plastic bubble, and realize that SB is not the one stop shop for sources of information. If they don't read it here they are certainly going to get it at school, home, or friends.

So, there is alot to be said for loosening up the PC'ness around here. For one, adults can be adults and teenagers can be teenagers. It actually creates a much more productive environment where people can express themselves more freely. I'm not talking about having a free for all, I'll cover that in a second, I'm talking about an environment that is an extension of the dive industry as a whole. Right now, SB is not this example in some ways.

Now, ofcourse there are going to be certain members who like to push the limits on occasion (I've known one all my life)..but there is a very simple solution to this that I learned for another internet forum. This would bring the plastic bubble O2 level to 21%.

Create an area called The Wild West (possibly a sub-forum to The Surface Interval??)
A password-accessed place to discuss political, religious, and other topics that can turn into passionate discussions. This sub-forum is not moderated except for the most egregious offenses. Basically, no name-calling, derogatory comments, and no spam - other than that, anything goes). Do NOT enter here and then cry for help - you are on your own.

Ok, now for the fun part...this is my conclusion. My schooling has taught me to summarize my main points from above and tie them all together. I'm not in school anymore and if my English teacher ever sees this he will not be happy, which is fine because I didnt like him anyway.

This post was directed to the moderators/staff at SB. For whatever reasons somewhere along the line this board has tightened something fierce. I would like to know how much time is spent by you guys cleaning up threads? Doesn't that get old..don't you think time can be better spent?

Now, if you really want to impress me...now we are getting up to 32%, hell maybe even 36% Nitrox in that plastic bubble..so in order to get this high of O2 you need to pay special attention now or no C-card for you. Remember some people even feel better on this stuff.

Realize that SB should be an extension/reflective of the dive community. In many ways it fullfills this purpose, but in some ways it does not. It it just not fun having to worry about being moderated for something that can be seen/heard on any dive boat out there. Loosen up on the innuendos, the language, the images...you don't have to go to the other extreme, but atleast let some of that precious 36% Nitrox in the bubble.

jepuskar

While it doesn't really bother me, I've always found it strange how tightly this board was monitored. In addition to The Wild West forums, why not simply an option to turn on and off the censoring of certain words. Turn it on, you get **** ***, turn it off you get something else.

It's an old bone but it still is as true today as it ever was, and therefore pretty obviously going to be raised in a forum like this. I guess different people have different ideas of "nice". Some think that "The Sound of Music" is where it's at, others are more into "Saturday Night Fever". (Me..... I'm actually more into Tarantino but we won't go there.......:D)

I think it's fair to say that "The Sound of Music" has always ruled here really. That's just what it is. I know for a fact from private conversations that we've lost many good members because of it. While there are always new ones coming in the door to replace them it doesn't seem to matter though - although the member stats doesn't measure how many people have left. If it did I'm pretty sure it would be a LOT lower! :D

I really don't think the censorship is really out of "protecting the teenagers" as it is more of a "respecting everyone" kind of thing... I say this because I personally do it myself. I can have a very foul mouth, but when I am around my friends that happen to be Latter Day Saints, I watch my mouth out of respect to them. They do not use that kind of language and don't like it, but have NEVER asked me not to use it in front of them, I choose to because I respect them as friends. I think the enforced censorship on here is (or at least should be) because of respect to those adult divers who do not use that sort language not to "protect innocent ears".

We discussed diving and then of course this board got brought up. I was asked why I don't post as much anymore and I gave some various reasons, but as the conversation went along this person told me about how strict it has gotten around here. (examples were given) Which I noticed a long time ago, but it got me to thinking...
jepuskar

Most boards that have an activity encompassing title should realistically be named "The **** Board", where **** is the Moderator's name. Perhaps a subtitle could be included, indicating the Moderator's special interest.

It would would then be clear, and understandable, that differing opinions, language, and positions would be deleted or substituted by fictitious words/descriptions by the board owner.

:coffee:

....where **** is the Moderator's name. Perhaps a subtitle could be included, indicating the Moderator's special interest.
Mods don't set policy. It's unfair to blame them - especially as they aren't allowed to answer in this forum.

Well, I come to this board to find the best diving information on the web. And I think that falls in line with the mission of this board. I don’t get the sense that they want to be the best Democrat or Republican Political board although most all members have some sense of political affiliation. It is the same with religion, fishing, auto racing and adult topics. I don’t think they are trying to be the best adult topic board or any other topic in the business.

For those interested in many other good and bad topics—whatever side you land on those things, there are boards out there dedicated to those topics.

Personally, as you have expressed your opinion that you want more stuff discussed that is off the topic of scuba, I appreciate it from the other side that staff makes an effort to keep the content as centered on scuba as possible.

On another note, we are all guests in the "Scuba Board house". Just as I respect others when I am a guest in their homes, business, or out in public, I respect the rules of the house.

For just a few dollars, you can purchase your own copy of VB the software that SB uses and for another small fee you can purchase a domain name and some server space can post away under your own rules and TOS. No one can stop you. I believe El has provided the link several times when people have asked about what software they use. I think I even saw where he gave pricing out once. Seemed pretty cheap for the package.

Well, I come to this board to find the best diving information on the web.
This board has gone beyond that. Just look at the Surface Interval forum, or any of the Non-Diving forums really. Look at the "chat" threads. Whether people agree with them or not it's quite clear that a conscious decision has been made to have them here. So now the question becomes - how are adults allowed to talk to each other? I think that's what Jepuskar is talking about. Given that it IS mostly adults having a conversation, sometimes it's strange being treated like a child - and a fairly secluded child at that.

Another point for those that say it's about having sensibility for more "conservative" or whatever you want to call it attitudes....

How far does that go?

This is supposedly an International forum, but as someone who lives outside of the US and wasn't raised with US values - it's clear to me that the site isn't as inclusive as it would like to think it is. Maybe that's why so many of the ex-US forums have all but disappeared. How many posts do we see from Europe these days? How many from Canada?

In the end there's nothing to complain about as it is what it is - as I said earlier. However - if you allow yourself to get your hopes up that it might be something else then you only have yourself to blame when you discover it isn't.

And what it is is still worthwhile and serves a lot of people very well.

I've read the terms of service (!) and drawn the following conclusions:
This place wants people to express themselves without animosity, rude or crude language, personal insults or name calling, sexual innuendo or trolling (posts that are there just to start an argument - this thread is started with a borderline troll).
I'm sure it's a terrible burden for some to follow those guidelines, but I don't see anything in the terms that would prevent the honest discussion of anything Scuba, which is what I understand the board has as its main purpose, and why I'm here, reading mostly, but occasionally trying to contribute.
I like the tight moderation here - in fact I think they let lots of "less than civil" stuff stay that I wouldn't, were I in charge. (Aren't you glad I'm not!)
><>

Jepuskar, I don't know which other boards you're referring to: all the diving ones I check have some form of moderation, some stricter than others. The Deco Stop, for example, does not even have what they call an ego forum, which I've always thought meant things like Whine and Cheese.

Even though I do check out the Community forums from time to time, and have even (gasp) posted there, I don't see any real reason for them to be on a board dedicated to diving. Sure I can just not go there, but why they're here at all I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom