Cert Numbers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhenry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I went diving with a friend who just gor her PADI cert card. She was issued a number, i have a NAUI open water cert card but i do nt have any number printed on it. I am missing something? I thought only instructors has cert numbers..
Or do i need to talk to NAUI for a number.? All of this came out from signing each others dive books. There is a space for a number?

NAUI does not use numbers, my card has year of certification and instructor name and number.

I just looked on the back of a certification card that one of my students was issued 8/09. On the back, where it says cert number there is a combination of her name and her birthday. Instructors and Divemasters for NAUI have just numbers on the back of their cards. Depending on when your card was issued, you may or may not have numbers on the back.

My NAUI card has no numbers. When looking for a replacement on the NAUI website, I found that they use your social (last time I looked). PADI cards all have a different cert number until the professional levels. Then it's the same number.

My NAUI card has no numbers. When looking for a replacement on the NAUI website, I found that they use your social (last time I looked). PADI cards all have a different cert number until the professional levels. Then it's the same number.

Last four digits of your SS#. I guess that NAUI is still trying to get to 10,000 divers served.:idk:

Some people absolutely need a NAUI number even though one doesn't exist.

My best local example:
Check the back of your Dutch Springs season pass for the last four digits of your SS#.
-I just made something up. Nobody ever checks.

Wherever I have to fill out waivers that ask for this info, I just put NAUI in the blanks. Works every time as most operations know that NAUI doesn't issue numbers...

It's just a reference number for PADI. You don't actually have a personal 'diver' number until you reach professional (DM/Inst) level.

For PADI it is a database ID number, or reference number as DevonDiver mentioned. For those familiar with databases, you know you need a unique identifier for each record. That is what the cert number is.

Regarding how you work it, there are many methods. Everyone has a unique SS number, so that is a good method, and that does not change.

With the PADI system, it is a name & birthday look up, so if someone gets married, or does not use their middle name on some certs, then the records cannot be connected. That is not good! It is, after all, only one diver we are talking about!

Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom