Certification cards once again...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theriel

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
As the amount of diving and courses taken increases, the amount of certification cards increase as well. Alas.

I'm trying to tidy up all these cards (trying to determine which cards I can safely leave at home) and here my doubts arise...

First of all - do diving centres accept photocopies of c-cards? Obviously, carrying two sheets of paper would be a lot easier...

Secondly - how do you organise your cards?

I know that the most useful cards to carry are *the highest rank* + EAN... but then the problems arise:
->Deep spec - theoretically required for 30-40m dives?
->Night spec - possibly asked by a diving centre when booking a night dive?
->Dry suit spec - possibly required when you feel like using a dry suit would be nice and you have left yours at home and renting is the only solution?

Finally - can a diving centre verify your qualification (inc. speciality) online, if you forget to bring the card?

Thank you for your opinions!

Best,
Theriel

PADI have a functional on-line database, where they can search for any PADI trained diver by name and date-of-birth. The database supplies info on all PADI courses the diver has taken.

Of course, only PADI dive centres/instructors have access to that database.

I'd say that a photocopy was better than nothing, but the actual card is best. Remember also that your logbook should provide a record of your training and experience.

If you can...email the dive centre in advance and ask what their policy is.

I typically take my ice diving card. Honestly, show that one to a warm water dive site and they basically assume you're either trained or too crazy to be stopped :)

It may depend on if you're doing a one day boat trip or staying at a resort and diving for a week or two....or a year.:D

I worked for a PADI shop on Boracay and as long as someone was certified, we would take them diving. There were some dives that we wouldn't take divers on, no matter what level they were certified, until we did a few dives with them. In this case, any card would do.

Case two, I read about divers going out into the Atlantic in the US and it's all about AOW or some level minimum....or you don't go. In this case, take the most advanced card you have. ??
JUst my thoughts...

If you have an AOW cert, I wouldn't worry about the "night, deep" specs. They might ask for your card to see if you've done any 80'+ diving in the last six months or so but that's about it. All the night dives I've been on were led by a DM so that took care of that. If you show up with a dry suit I would imagine that the dive shop operator would probably figure that you knew what was up with that, also.

Why the heck cant dive agencies just have one card with endorsements on that card? An entirely separate card for each specialty seems ridicules.

Why the heck cant dive agencies just have one card with endorsements on that card? An entirely separate card for each specialty seems ridicules.

Well, historical precedence for one. For another it is somewhat immaterial as each time you get a new certification you'd still get a new card.

Just take the highest level diving card and maybe a nitrox card. Thats it.

If you want to RENT a drysuit you might want that otherwise leave that at home.

So for you, deep and nitrox should get you onto any dive site you want.

The rationale being deep will allow you to 40m (aow only 30m, rescue only 30m). Nitrox allows you to use nitrox. So "deep" is the highest level card you'll need at a recreational type level.

PADI can look someone up online if the area has internet access and is a padi resort (they aren't always).

Well, historical precedence for one. For another it is somewhat immaterial as each time you get a new certification you'd still get a new card.

True but that one card would contain all of your certifications. I realize that not all of the specialties are necessarily something that each diver would run around displaying their card proving they are certified. People do not need to show the world that they are a PADI certified snorkel expert. I'm just saying as a person adds more certifications to their drivers license they do not carry a new license for that cert along with their original license. If you get a motorcycle endorsement you just get a new card with that endorsement added. As far as historical like you said each new cert gets you a new card so save them in a drawer to add to your scrap book later.

Back
Top Bottom