Certification question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knfmn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all!

I know this isn't strictly speaking a cave diving question, but I was hoping for a little advice. I am going to be back in Mexico in December and hope to do my cavern certification while there. I have my choice of 3 different certification agencies from the shop that I'm doing it through, PADI, IANTD and TDI. I have absolutely nothing against PADI, but figured I would go with either IANTD or TDI for the cert. Does anyone know if there's much in the way of differences in their certifications? I'm reasonably sure that the same material will be covered. Would one agency be more widely recognized/respected than another? Should I ask the shop if I could get certs from 2 or even all 3 agencies if the same material is covered and I pay for the certification itself?

Thanks for all the help,

Kristopher

IANTD has a little more recognition in cave diving since it's headquartered in Florida, but the programs are very similar. Either IANTD or TDI will suffice. However, if you intend on getting more cave training beyond cavern, a PADI cert may not be recognized by an instructor. Really, it's the instructor, and at that level I wouldn't bother with more than one card.

Flip a coin, they are both very good. I would chat to instructors from both agencies, ask some questions. Maybe you hear something you like or find a personality that will suit you.

If all else fails, go with IANTD :gun:

As Rob says, some cave instructors don't recognize a PADI cavern cert, if you want to go on to Intro or beyond. Otherwise, I suspect instructors teach the classes they teach, and submit the paperwork to whoever you request they submit it to -- at least, our cavern and intro class was like that. I will say that TDI was EXTREMELY prompt in getting the cards out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom